BUCK STATION -
(1869- ?) T21N R56E NE1/4 Section 9. 21 miles north of US 50 at a point 51
miles west of Ely. One of several stations established along the Gilson
or "Hill" Beachey toll road. It is located south of the Warm
Springs Ranch in Newark Valley.
Buck Station became one of many points to
the White Pine silver mines. It remains fairly well intact
due to the remoteness of its location which has discouraged vandalism to
some degree. The elements have taken their toll over the years and the
buildings are crumbling.
Most of the buildings were made of stone.
A small brook passes across the road and undoubtedly furnished the
station with cold, fresh water for the keepers and travelers. A stone
wall and what appears to have been an attempt at landscaping lies between
the main station buildings and the dusty roadway.
Adobe plastering can be seen on the
interior of the main station building where apparently food was served to
the travelers. A wooden frame structure lies collapsed into a heap in
front of the main building. A second but smaller dirt roofed stone
building is next to the main building.
What may have been a storage building
near the barn still shows the craftsmanship of its builder and is missing
its roof. Two well built stone walls stand, one of which has both of its stone
gables intact at each end. The large stone barn used for the stage coach horses
can be seen. Its wooden roof is deteriated but the large main doors
fronting next to the road are intact.
In 1870, all of Newark Valley only
registered 75 people living within it. Eight men are named as Station Keepers
in Newark Valley, but unfortunately the specific stations they were in
charge of are not named in the census records. James W. Meter with his
cook, Joshua Burnham, hostler Daniel Craig, and blacksmith Patrick
Loughran are the first to be listed as in charge of a station. Next is
William Savory with his wife Adelaide and son Benjamin, age 8.
Charles E. Thomas employees cook Oscar C. Bean and George Stone as a
John D. Sullivan, cook William Robertson,
Toll collector Emery B. Snow and Peter Underhill the blacksmith all man
the next station. John St. Clair is the next station keeper and
ranches as well. Nathaniel Sailor employees cook David Newman at
the next station. Station keeper Thomas O'Connor manages a station
with his wife Teresa and 9 year-old son John T. O'Connor. Finally David
N. Hyde runs his station with the help of his cook, John Volker in 1870.
Other stations were: Black Hawk, Salty
Williams, Pancake, and Do-Drop-In. Stagecoach travelers could eat and
rest here. Remains of a ranch can still be seen. Long segments of the old
Elko-Hamilton stage road can be seen stretching north to south from this
M. S. Sharp had ownership of 40 acres known as Buck
Station and 80 acres adjoining the Brehe Ranch on the west in 1887.
By 1890, Thomas Jenkins owned 160 acres known as Buck's Station, so the site had been expanded upon.
These structures were used as a ranch base until fairly