1000 Campton Street - Built 1906 / 1907    

The Nevada Northern Railroad, owned by Eastern Investors, wanted to control the entire area, but did not get the cooperation they wanted from the citizens of Ely. They decided to build a stone depot in an outlying area calling it Ely City (now East Ely). This was to punish Ely and leave the town "off the map."

The citizens complained to the Nevada Northern Railway Commission. After numerous hearings, the Nevada Northern Railway was forced to build this small frame depot near the courthouse. It is named after Mark L. Requa, a popular Ruth Mine owner, who convinced Eastern capitalists to bring the essential railroad to Ely to transport his copper ore to Cobre. The old depot was converted into a Senior Center in the early 1980's and named in honor of Mr. Requa.

Click on the thumbnail pictures to see the full view


trainpnd.gif (239210 bytes)
White Pine Historical and Archaeological Society

1000ca1.jpg (18533 bytes)
Mark Henderson Photo 1998

Home Page

Pages designed by
Shaputis Enterprises

P.O. Box 552
Ruth, NV  89319


FastCounter by LinkExchange