And Once Upon a Time There Was...
Clark Street (Demolished)
This house was originally set farther back on the lost when it was built by Mr. Demetrious. The house located behind the Hotel Nevada was demolished to make way for a parking area.
300 Aultman Street 1888 - 1992 /93
This site once housed The White Pine News, the first newspaper in Ely. W. L. Davis, the Editor, built the building in 1888. The White Pine News had existed in various mining camps in the county from 1868 in Treasure City to East Ely. A succeeding editor A. Valjean moved the business at the beginning of the copper boom in 1906 /07 to East Ely where it met its demise in 1923.
The Aultman Street structure was the oldest commercial structure in Ely until it collapsed during the winter of 1992 / 1993. It was not until 1905 that the first brick commercial building appeared
458 High Street 1905
Local Architect and Contractor, Charles W. Gaby built this late Victorian home for Thomas Rockhill. Rockhill was an early miner who retired comfortably by selling his mining properties when the copper boom began. This home was constructed between the homes of W. B. Graham (1888) and J. H. Eager (1901).
500 High Street
J. B. Simpson built his first house on High Street. Simpson liked the looks of the Rockhill home so well, he tore down his house and had one similar to that of Rockhill's built on the site. This was also the home of Joe Fouilleul who owned "Joe's Candy Kitchen" once located on the site now occupied by the Hotel Nevada.
266 Ogden Avenue
Built around 1910, the old French Laundry looks very much the same as when the Espanagna family owned it. This was the best laundry in town. The Espanagnas beautifully cleaned and pressed fluted and frilled garments. Reportedly, the floor was bleached nearly white, because the wash water was used to scrub the floors at the end of each day.
Old French Hand Laundry
In backyard, the first school house built in Ely. 2nd Street used from 1889 - 1915
629 Murry Street - Built1888
This home located on the sunny side of Murry Creek, on the south side of the Delmore home, is the oldest residence native to Ely. Built in the spring of 1888 by County Clerk William Laurenson (Lavenrson ?).
Dr. Richardson sold the home to W. C. "Crane" Gallagher (1850 -1918) in the early 1900's. Mr. Gallagher served as County Commissioner for 16 years and as a State Senator from White Pine County. He ranched in the Duck Creek area and Gallagher's Gap is named for him. Gallagher was one of the White Pine County Commissioners who voted to move the county seat from Hamilton to Ely.
His son, Charles D. Gallagher (1887 - 1977), also a Senator, was a photographer and is said to have used the upstairs as as a studio before moving it to 401 Murry Street. The Gallagher house was torn down.
604 Murry Street
This was the Delmore home. Delmore and Richardson owned the Dodge Garage.
996 Pine Street - 1935 to 1940
This residence is a typical house moved from Old Ruth in the middle 1950's. It was the second house to be moved down the canyon to Ely when Kennecott expanded mine operations where the old site of Ruth was once located in Tonapah Canyon.
2250 South Street - 1908
After the railroad arrived in September 1906, the destiny of Ely became apparent. Subdivisions were added to the original city plat and construction of commercial structures and homes began to spring up. R. D. Dodson came here as an experienced contractor. Immediately he received numerous contracts. Among these were to build the Episcopal Church, buildings for the railroad, and several private residences. In 1908, he completed this structure for himself and his family.
The architecture of this home reflects the southern influences of his wife's heritage. The barn on this property once was used to house the business of the Hanes Freight Agency. It later became the Seifers residence.
Pages designed by
P.O. Box 552
Ruth, NV 89319
FastCounter by LinkExchange