(T22N R62E SW1/4 NE1/4 Section
Hamilton is located 11 miles south of U.S. Highway 50 at a
point 45 miles west of Ely. It is one of the most
noted ghost towns in the west. The town was first called Cave City
because the early residents lived in caves and dugouts. The name
was later changed to honor one of the promoters of the
In 1869, the town saw up to 30,000
people coming to seek their fortunes. The town soon boasted
of having 22 lawyers, 101 saloons, and 59 general stores.
Hamilton was the first county seat of White Pine County, but due
to the mines petering out and the loss of the Court House and all
the records in 1885, the seat was moved to Ely.
The old stage station has only one
5' by 10' section of wall remaining with the old fireplace
in it. Only parts of other brick and stone buildings remain
to show what a bustling, busy large town Hamilton once was.
Part of the townsite is on private property and the stone walls
are close to collapse.
remains and one interment is thought to be the brother of the
founder of the Folger Coffee dynasty. Hamilton
Photos. See Historical