With Otsego County Roots

If you have one to add, send it along!

"1892 Portrait & Biographical Album of Genesee, Lapeer & Tuscola Counties, Chapman Bros", in Michigan.

DWIGHT BABCOCK. This liberal and public-spirited citizen, whose business as a manufacturer of pine and hard wood lumber is one of the best enterprises of Flint, and who is known among his old comrades as one of the brave boys in blue who fought for the old flag in the '60s, was born in Burton Township, February 25, 1844. His father, Abelino Babcock, was a native or Cooperstown, Otsego County, N. Y., and was a playfellow and associate of the renowned novelist, Fenimore Cooper. His father, Samuel Babcock, was a farmer and dairyman, and lost a leg in the Revolutionary War.

The father of our subject came West after marriage, and in 1834 settled in Rochester, Oakland County, and buying eighty acres of Government land built a log house in which there was not a nail, board or shingle. He came here a very poor man, and during the first eighteen months of his residence here he had only twenty-five cents in money. He took a three-mile contract on the old railroad from Port Huron to Flint, but as that was the time of the wild cat speculation he lost all that he put into it. In 1867 he located in Flint, where he had been for some time, buying produce as a partner of J. B. Covert. His business was successful, and he became a stockholder in the Genesee County Savings Bank. He was a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and for twenty-one years superintended the Sunday-school. He was in his early life an Abolitionist and later a Republican, and died at the age of sixty-four years.

The mother of our subject was known in her maidenhood as Emeline Shaw. She also was a native of Cooperstown, where her father, Sylvester Shaw, was a farmer. She died in Grand Blanc Township, and of her thirteen children twelve grew to maturity and nine are now living. Two brothers served in the war--David, who was a member of the Twenty-seventh Michigan Infantry and died at Crab Orchard in 1864, and S. S., who is now a prominent attorney in Detroit, and served for two years in a New York regiment.

Dwight Babcock learned the practical work of agriculture upon his father's farm, and studied in the log schoolhouse with its shake roof. In June, 1862, he enlisted in Company K, Twenty-seventh Michigan Infantry, and took part in the battles at Bowling Green, Jackson, Champion Hill, and the siege of Vicksburg. After that memorable Fourth of July, 1863, when Vicksburg surrendered, he went down the Mississippi and afterward crossed the mountains of East Tennessee and took part in the conflict at Campbell Station and the siege of Knoxville. He veteranized about that time, and then went East to Harper's Ferry and became a part of the Army of the Potomac. He was in engagements all the time from the battle of Rapidan to the surrender of Petersburg. His regiment was the first to place the National colors on the parapet at Petersburg, and they were present at Lee's surrender at Appomattox, and took part in the Grand Review. After the death of Abraham Lincoln they were placed on guard at the old Arsenal Prison over the conspirators, and were there on duty until the execution of those prisoners.

After receiving his honorable discharge as Orderly Sergeant Mr. Babcock engaged in farming in Davison, buying about two hundred and forty acres of land, but in 1867 he began lumbering, in which he has been very successful. He employs some sixty men the year round, and handles from six to eight million feet of lumber a year as his different camps. In 1889 he built a grist and saw mill in Flint which he operated by steam, and he engaged at once in the manufacture of pine and hard wood lumber. He was married in Flint in 1871 to Miss Susan Baker, a native of Devonshire, England, and they have two children--Abelino, who is a member of the Class of '92 at Flint High School, and Elizabeth. This gentleman is a prominent member of both the Masonic order and the Grand Army, and all his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is a liberal supporter. He is a Republican in his political views, and a stanch one, believing that in the doctrines of that party will be found the true solution of our political

questions. Contributed by Colleen Mysliwiec. She is not related to the family.

Source: Historical Atlas of the City of Portage, Wisconsin Page 885

J. Cole was born in the town of Cherry Valley, Otsego County , Nov. 15, 1815; worked in cotton mills in Oneida Co. until nearly 21 years of age; then went to Lockport, N.Y.; and remained about three years, returned to Rochester, and worked in the cotton mills for eighteen months; in the fall of 1839, removed to Newton Falls, Ohio, residing there eleven years; he subsequently resided in Painesville one year, Cleveland one year, town of Bristol two years: Mr. C. came to Wisconsin in the fall of 1854, and located at Oconomowoc, residing afterward in Milwaukee and Hartford; in the fall of 1858, was employed by the railroad company, as a machinist, running stationary engines, etc; remained in their employ for twelve years; in September 1871, engaged in flour and feed business, and has continued in that business ever since; he also deals in wooden pumps. Mr. C was married in Rochester, N.Y. in the fall of 1839 to Mary A. McDonald, a native of Watertown, Jefferson Co., N! .Y.. Mr and Mrs. Cole are both memebers of the M.E. Church; Mr. C, is Steward, Recording Secretary, and Class leader in the church.

Contributed by Lori Driver

"From History of Scott County, Iowa” 1882; Chicago; Interstate Publishing Company:

Davis C. Dutcher, postmaster, farmer, and owner of the White Sulphur Springs, was born near Otsego Lake, near Cooperstown, Nov. 10, 1820. He lived here, working on his father's farm and attending school until 23 years of age, when he married Miss Fanny E. Wagner, February, 1844; she was born in Montogomery Co., N.Y., and was a daughter of Abraham Wagner, and Maria Keller; they were among the first settlers on the Mohawk River in New York State; he was a farmer, and is still living at Linwood, in his 85th year, a hale, hearty old gentleman. She died in February, 1851. After Mr. and Mrs. Dutcher were married, he opened a store of general merchandise, and was appointed postmaster at East Springfield, N.Y., where he remained some seven years, until the fall of 1854, when he went to Illinois and settled on a farm on Rock River, five miles south of Rock Island, where he remained until April, 1858, when he came to Scott Co., Iowa, and, on the Hazelwood farm in Blue Grass Township; remained here four years, when he bought the farm where he now lives, at Linwood, section 24, Buffalo Township. He and wife have had two children, viz.: John G., who married Josie Mosdorf, and Jerome E., who married Mary Mitsch; they reside on the old homestead in section 24, with their parents. The parents of Mr. Davis C. Dutcher were Gabriell Detcher and Margaret McKellop. They were members of the German Reform Presbyterian church, and had a family of three children, all living. He was a farmer, born in New York and died in 1850. She was born in Cherry Valley, N.Y., near where the great Indian massacre of 1812 was. She died in May, 1874. Her father, Archie McKellop, was chased by the Indians at the massacre of 1812, and he hid in a hollow log and thus saved his life. The Indians sat down on the log, and even struck their tomahawks in it, and were wondering where he had gone. The subject of this sketch, Mr. Davis C. Dutcher, has his farm of 117 and 1/2 acres, most all under cultivation, and well stocked. He is one of the well-to-do representative farmers of Scott County. On his farm at Linwood, situated seven miles below Davenport, on the Mississippi River, is the White Sulphur Springs, noted for its healthful qualities. The following is an analysis by Professor Rush Emery, of Albany, N.Y. Grains in one U. S. S. Gallon, 231 cubic inches.

Sodium Chloride...................................92.7995
Calcium Chloride..................................33.5699
Magnesia Chloride.................................23.2687
Carbonic Acid.....................................31.5700
Sodinm Bicarbonate................................40.5715
Iron Bicarbonate..................................27.3796
Potassium Sulphate................................ 6.1300
Sodium Phosphate.................................. .5000
Sulphate Magnesia.................................16.2350

Total solids upon evaporation...296.4893

Density of water is 10,000; temperature, 56' Fahrenheit. The Spring is quite a resort during the summer seasons. Hundreds come here to drink its healthful waters, which are free to all. Mr. Davis C. Dutcher was formerly a member of Springfield, N.Y. I.O.O.F., Fountain Lodge, No. 777. He has held various local offices of trust in Buffalo Township, and has been postmaster at Linwood since that office was established,, some 12 years ago. In politics he is a Republican, and cast his first vote for Taylor, being only four days too young to vote for Harrison, and he has been identified with Scott County, Iowa since 1858.

Submitted by: Lynnea Dickinson

A Historical and Biographical Record of the Territory of Arizona; Published by McFarland & Poole, Chicago, 1896; p.492:

DR. E. W. DUTCHER. The man who rises to an enviable place in the medical profession rises by his own individuality, and is never pushed up on the wave of a growing and general movement, like the rising tide of commerce—often the success of the merchant is but a part of the success of the branch in which he has invested, and is referable only slightly to his individual efforts. The physician's advancement to prominence is more often the just reward of personal merit and professional learning, efficiency and success. This thought has been suggested by a brief consideration of the professional career of Dr. E. W. Dutcher, who may be regarded as a representative, both worthy and conspicuous, of the better element in this profession of self-made men. He was born in Cooperstown, New York, April 3, 1848, a son of Peter and Desiah (Parshall) Dutcher, who were also born in the Empire State, but were of Holland Dutch descent. The father was a successful tiller of the soil and in the management of his estate was thrifty and painstaking, as are the majority of those of his nationality. To him and his wife a family of eight children were given, but six of whom are living at the present time, of whom the Doctor is the youngest. He was reared in Cooperstown, received his literary education in Hartwick Seminary and began the study of medicine with Dr. George Merritt of Cherry Valley, New York. After thorough preparation he entered Albany Medical College, and was graduated from that institution in December, 1870, after which he at once entered upon the practice of his profession at Sidney Plains, New York, where he was engaged in healing the pains and ailments to which the human family is heir for about three years. He then went to Nineveh. New York, and after a residence there of six years he resided for a like period in Allegany, New York. At about this period he decided to make his home in the West, and in 1886 took up his residence in Tulare, California, but since June, 1892, his home has been in Prescott, Arizona. It was but a short time before his professional ability became recognized and he entered upon a successful and active professional career, his labors in behalf of suffering humanity meeting with satisfactory results. He stands high in the profession and is a member of the Arizona Medical Society, and socially belongs to the Masonic fraternity. Dr. Dutcher is a man of family, and in 1878 was united in marriage with Miss Ida A. Smith, a native of Broome County, New York, who has borne him two bright and interesting children, Egbert K. and Emma I. Mrs. Dutcher is a member of the Episcopal Church and an intelligent and amiable woman. Politically, the Doctor has always supported the principles of the Democratic party.

Submitted by: Lynnea Dickinson

“History of Davenport and Scott County; Volume II” by Harry E. Downer; S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.; 1910; Chicago:

John G. Dutcher is a worthy representative of the oldest and most prominent families of Scott county and has been identified with its farming interests throughout a long period. The family originated in Holland, whence the first of the name emigrated to New York in 1632. There are still many of the name living in and near Otsego county, that state, and a number are prominent representatives of the various professions. There is in possession of the Dutcher family a will signed by Ruloof Dutcher, bearing the date January 17, 1736, and also copies of land transfers as far back as the year 1757.

John G. Dutcher of this review was born in Otsego county, New York, in 1846, a son of D. C. and Laney E. (Wagner) Dutcher, both of whom were natives of the same place, the former born in November, 1830, and the latter in August, 1832. The parents journeyed west in December, 1854, first settling in Rock Island, Illinois, where they spent a few years, while in April, 1858, they continued their journey just across the state line into Scott county, Iowa. Here the father purchased a tract of land, which is now owned by two of his sons. John G. Dutcher was a little lad of eight years when he was brought from his native state to the west and was twelve years of age when the family home was established in Scott county. He was educated in the district schools of Buffalo township and completed his studies in a business college of Davenport. During the periods of vacation he was trained in the duties that usually fall to the farm lad and thus as his age and strength increased he became more and more familiar with the methods of agriculture. After putting aside his text-books he took entire charge of the home farm for his father, who was an invalid, and the place is now owned by himself and his brother J. E. They likewise own large tracts of timber land in Arkansas and farm lands in various other sections. For many years Mr. Dutcher was busily employed at farm labor but is now leaving the active work to others, while he merely superintends his invested interests. His excellent business ability has been manifest in many ways and today he is classed with the representative and substantial residents of Scott county. In addition to his landed possessions he is also a stockholder in the Savings Bank at Buffalo, of which he is acting as vice president.

Mr. Dutcher was united in marriage to Miss Josephine Marsdorph, who still survives. He is a democrat in his political views and in 1892 was elected to the board of county supervisors, serving six years, while in 1906 he was once more elected and is now serving his second term. He is a Mason, belonging to lodge No. 37, at Davenport; to Banner Lodge, No. 16, Knights of Pythias at Buffalo; Davenport Lodge, No. 7, I. O. O. F.; and to the Woodmen of the World.

J. E. Dutcher, the brother, makes his home on the same farm and together they are managing their extensive interests. He wedded Miss Mary Mitch, a daughter of Frederick Mitch, of Peoria, Illinois. Their union has been blessed with one son and two daughters: Charles E., who operates the farm for his father and uncle; Nancy, the wife of Richard Tarbit, of Syracuse, New York; and Laney, at home.

Submitted by: Lynnea Dickinson

Orville Hubbard, a retired resident of Mazomanie, was born at Burlington Flats, Otsego, N.Y., July 22, 1833. He is a son of Elijah and Phoebe (Fish) Hubbard, the former a native of Connecticut and the latter of Otsego County, N.Y. They were married in New York and in 1838 removed to Medina County, Ohio, where they lived until 1844, when they came to Wisconsin, settling first at Wankesha, but six years later removed to Dane county. Here the father got one hundred and sixty acres of government land, located in what is now the town of Black Earth, though at that time in the town of Mazomanie. After improving the place and farming on it for fifteen years, he rented it out and remove to Mazomanie, where he died. The mother died in Richland county. He was a Republican in his political affliations and both parents were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Of their seven children five are still living. Orville Hubbard lived with his parents until he was about twenty years of age, when he began farming for himself. In August, 1864, he enlisted as a prive in Company M, First Wisconsin heavy artillery, and served until July 14, 1865, when he was mustered out and honorably discharged from the service. His regiment was in no engagements during that period, being assigned to duty with the Twenty-third army corps and stationed at Washington, D.C., to guard the national capital. After the war he worked for fifteen years at the cooper’s trade, and was then in Thompson’s mill at Mazomanie for four years. Since then he has lived retired. He has been twice married. His first wife was Cecelia Huntington, a native of England. This marriage was in 1857 and was blessed by four children. Frank is a farmer near Green Bay, Wis: Addie is the wife of Henry Lathrop; Clark is the railroad agent at Prairie du Sac; and Irvin Lives at Belvidere. In July 1891, Mr. Hubbard married Mrs. Hulda Swengen, widow of William Swengen daught of D.W. and Nancy (Cable ) Black. Her children are Annie, Elsie, Cora, Lela and William. Annie and Cora are in Monroe, Wis., Lel is attending an art school in Chicago, and William is at home.

Contributed by: Dorothy Fitzpatrick

"1892 Portrait & Biographical Album of Genesee, Lapeer & Tuscola Counties, Chapman Bros", in Michigan.

BENJAMIN F. JUDSON, well-to-do farmer residing on section 35, Mundy Township, Genesee County, is a son of the late George Judson, who was born in Butternuts, Otsego County, N. Y., November 7, 1810. His father, the grandfather of our subject, by name Silas B. Judson, was a native of Connecticut and born of English parents.

The parents of our subject were married in Genesee County, this State, and located in Mundy Township, where they cultivated an excellent farm and resided until their death, the father dying in 1874 and the mother March 29, of the same year. The maiden name of Mrs. Judson was Emily Skinner and her birth occurred June 11, 1812, In Detroit. the parental family included seven children, six sons and one daughter, of whom Benjamin F was the fourth in order of birth.

Benjamin F. Judson was born in Mundy Township, Genesee County, April 2, 1845, and was reared to farm pursuits on the old homestead where he now makes his home. His parents were among the earliest settlers of Genesee County, the father having taken up land from the Government as early as 1834. He was a candidate for the Legislature but was defeated by the Republicans. He was Supervisor of his township for many years and all in all was a progressive and public-spirited man.

Our subject was married in Mundy Township January 23, 1869, to Miss Mary E., daughter of Cyrus and Julia Ann (McGowan) Hewitt, the father born in New York State, March 27, 1808, and the mother in Jerusalem, N. Y., October 8, 1812. They were early settlers of Mundy Township, having come here as early as 1836. They made this their abiding place until their death, the mother passing away December 18, 1871, when in her fifty-ninth year, and the father dying December 11, 1890, ages eighty-three years. The family of Mr. and Mrs. Hewitt consisted of four sons and two daughters, of whom Mrs. Judson was the fourth in order of birth, having been born in Mundy township, March 14, 1847.

After the marriage of our subject he located upon the old homestead where he has since lived. He then became the parent of three children, Burton s., who was married September 29, 1891, to Miss Lottie F. Charters; Hewitt C. and John R. Mr. Judson has always followed farming pursuits, but has combined with that occupation the running of a gristmill, and in both has been very successful. His farm now numbers two hundred and five acres. In politics he is a stanch Democrat, although he reserves the right to vote for the candidate whom he considers will best fill the position. Our subject is a half-brother of William Ray, whose biography will be found elsewhere in this volume.

Contributed by Colleen Mysliwiec. She is not related to the family.

"1892 Portrait & Biographical Album of Genesee, Lapeer & Tuscola Counties, Chapman Bros", in Michigan.

SIMON P. MIERS, is a prominent agriculturist residing on section 2, Grand Blanc Township, Genesee County. Mr. Miers is a native of New York, having been born in Otsego County, October 22, 1824. He is a son of Peter and Hannah (Lun) Miers. The former was a native of Columbia County, N.Y,. and the latter of Connecticut. He is of German ancestry on the paternal side, his maternal progenitors being English people. Our subject was reared to manhood in his native county and State upon a farm. He received a good common-school education and was fitted for the practical duties of life. He is well posted and conversant with the latest and most approved methods of scientific agriculture. , is a prominent agriculturist residing on section 2, Grand Blanc Township, Genesee County. Mr. Miers is a native of New York, having been born in Otsego County, October 22, 1824. He is a son of Peter and Hannah (Lun) Miers. The former was a native of Columbia County, N.Y,. and the latter of Connecticut. He is of German ancestry on the paternal side, his maternal progenitors being English people. Our subject was reared to manhood in his native county and State upon a farm. He received a good common-school education and was fitted for the practical duties of life. He is well posted and conversant with the latest and most approved methods of scientific agriculture.

Mr. Miers was married July 3, 1850, his bride bing Miss Lydia Houck, a native of Schoharie County, N.Y., and a daughter of John W. and Charity Houck. By this union there was bon one son, John W., whose natal day is March 19, 1851. After marriage our subject engaged for one year in farming n Otsego County, and then engaged in the mercantile business in Richmondville, Schoharie County, N.Y., and continued in that business for eighteen months, when he was burnt out and then went to farming. Subsequently he continued farming for four years and then again embarked in the mercantile business in Otsego County, and after a period of two years he returned to farming giving four years of his time to that.

Removing to Lorain County, Ohio, Mr. Miers became interested in a machine shop and foundry in the town of Lagrange, and thence to Genesee County, this State, in 1867. Settling on his present farm in Grand Blanc Township were he has since resided. Our subject owns two hundred and seventy acres of land upon which he has placed valuable improvements. His farm bears an excellent residence that is attractive, comfortable and capacious.

Politically Mr. Mier is a Prohibitionist. He believes thoroughly in progress in every branch of life. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in which our subject has served as a Trustee for a number of years. Mrs. Miers is a native of Schoharie County N.Y., and was born November 27, 1815. She is the daughter of John and Charity (Vanderburg) Houck. Her ancestry is said to be German on both sides. Mr. and Mrs. Miers are in the prime of their life and are now enjoying the fruits of their early labors. They are greatly respected and are esteemed members of society in this place. Our subject devotes a great deal of attention to the raising of a fine grade of Merino sheep.

Contributed by Colleen Mysliwiec. She is not related to the family.

1892 Portrait & Biographical Album of Genesee, Lapeer & Tuscola Counties, in Michigan. Chapman Bros.

ABRAM SOMERS. This well-known farmer residing on section 25, Mundy township, Genesee County, is a native son of the Empire State, having been born in Schoharie County, January 31, 1848. At his native home his early days were passed attending the district school and helping upon the farm, until he reached the age of eleven years. The family then removed just cross the county line into Otsego County, and there made their home for many years.

Our subject came West in November, 1871, and here again undertook what had been so far for his life work, farming, and which has been his pursuit since coming here. Upon coming to Michigan he first settled in Grand Blanc township, this county, and lived there four years, before remaking to Mundy Township, and in these two townships he has made his home ever since coming to this State. He is now carrying on farming upon a splendid tract of three hundred and twenty acres, which he has in fine condition and which is yielding him crops of more than ordinary average in value and amount.

Mr. Somers was married in Otsego County, N. Y., December 19, 1865, to Miss Helen Griggs, who was born in North Norwich, Chenango County, N. Y., February 22, 1847. Mr. and Mrs. Somers are the parents of eight children: Jason E., Edwin L.; Samuel A.; Alice M.; Hiram G.; Arthur L.; Nellie B. and George A. These are all living in good health with the exception of Alice M., who passed from this life at the age of six years, after the family had removed to Mundy township.

Mr. Somers is a man who is deeply interested in matters of public import and has ever found his judgment to be in accord with the tenets of the Republican party, but he is also deeply interested in the temperance question and casts his ballot for Prohibition. Both he and his good wife are earnest and active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in the activities of that circle they find a broad field for work and influence.

The father of Abram Somers bore the same name as his son and the mother's name in maidenhood was Nancy Borst. They both died in Otsego County, N. Y. They were the parents of thirteen children and our subject was the eleventh in order of age. The father of the younger Mrs. Somers was Ebenezer Griggs, who died in Flint Township, and her mother, Mercy (Myers) Griggs, still resides there at the old home. Mrs. Somers is the fourth in a family of six children born to these worthy parents. She is a lady of more than ordinary intelligence and affability, and is highly esteemed in the social circles of Mundy Township. Mr. and Mrs. Somers have placed their farm in the hands of a tenant and are now somewhat relieved from the heavier burdens of life.

Contributed by Colleen Mysliwiec. She is not related to the family.

Biography of Joseph Cephus Wilbur

Contributed by: Edward Colburn

Otsego County Home Page