Township Sections of Mini-Biographies
The History of Otsego County, New York
D. Hamilton Hurd
Published by Everts & Fariss, Philadelphia
DEMING - One of the first settlers after Mr. CARR was Aden
DEMING. He was born in 1768 and lived with the Quakers in
Pittsfield until twenty years of age, when he purchased his time
for twenty dollars. In 1791, he married Martha PHELPS, and
after having purchased a farm in this town and made some
improvements, sold it for $125, and in 1792 settled with his
family in the locality now known as "Graves' Flats." He soon
after moved across Wharton creek. He was an industrious,
hardy pioneer, and at the time of his death, in June, 1847, he
was the owner of 1300 acres of land in Edmeston, and 400 in
Pittsfield. His wife died in 1848. Of their family two reside
in the county, - Lyman, on the old homestead, and Betsy, wife
of Edwin PHELPS, in Edmeston Centre. Nelson lives in New
Berlin, Chenango county.
The first physician was Dr. Gains SMITH, who came with his
family from Vermont in about the year 1800, and settled on
the road leading from Edmeston Centre to West Burlington.
He had a large practice, and was highly esteemed in the
community. He died in 1819, at the advanced age of seventy-
A daughter named Rachel married David BROWN, in Vermont,
and moved to this town after her father's death. Another
daughter, Diantha, married Benjamin ST. JOHN, in Saratoga
county. A son, Hon. David B., St. John, became a resident of
this town in 1820, and has done much to advance the interests
of Edmeston, as well as the adjoining town of Pittsfield. He at
one time resided in Pittsfield, and represented that town in the
board of supervisors during ten successive terms, from 1835 to
His record in the board of supervisors, together with his
general integrity and character, won him the esteem of the
people, and he was subsequently chosen member of assembly
in the years 1849-59-60, and was in the constitutional convention
SPENCER - Another pioneer physician and prominent citizen
was Dr. Halsey SPENCER, who came from Greene county to
Otsego in 1814, and located in West Exeter. He remained
there two years, and removing to this town, settled on the
turnpike between the Centre and West Burlington, where he
began the practice of his profession, in which he labored until
his death in 1870. He was an esteemed and influential citizen
of the county, and served in various capacities. He was
supervisor in 1835-37, member of assembly in 1828, and
sheriff in 1838.
William M. Spencer, M.D., a son, was the first resident physician
at the Centre, where he now resides, and is in the active practice
of his profession. He has served several years as supervisor.
Lewis Spencer, brother of Dr. Spencer, resides at the Centre,
and Mrs. Mary HULL, a sister, in West Exeter.
Daniel CHAPIN and wife emigrated from Richmond, Berkshire
Co., Mass., in about the year 1800, and settled one and one
half miles west of the Centre on lands of the Cooper patent.
He died in 1837, aged sixty-three. His eldest son, Walter,
remained on a portion of the old homestead until 1870, when
he removed to Unadilla Forks, where he now resides.
John, the second son, occupies the homestead. His mother is
living with him at the age of ninety-eight years. Alfonso is a
resident of Sherburne, Chenango county.
Uriah Chapin was an early settler in Burlington. David Chapin
settled near Edmeston Centre, where he conducted a tannery.
A son, Laurentine, lives on the homestead.
Nathan LANGWORTHY, wife, and family emigrated from
Rhode Island about the year 1805 and settled in Brookfield,
Madison county, about half a mile below West Edmeston village,
where he died. Two of his children subsequently moved
across the river into this county. William F. Langworthy, a son,
settled on a farm in sight of his father's place. He married
Desire A. BASS in 1832. Numerous representatives of this
honored family are residents of the town. Hollum Langworthy,
who now occupies his father's homestead, is an enterprising
citizen and a successful apiarian.
The HOXIE family were of English origin. The first of the
family who came to this country located in Massachusetts.
Stephen Hoxie, the great-grandfather of the present family
residing in Edmeston, emigrated from Connecticut, and was
among the first settlers in the Unadilla valley, at Leonardsville,
upon premises now owned by his direct descendants. He was
an honored pioneer, and lived to the advanced age of one
hundred and one years. Nathan B Hoxie, his grandson, and son
of Solomon Hoxie, Sr., was born in 1801. In 1826 he married
Eliza LANGWORTHY, and in 1832 moved in this town, locating
upon the Edmeston patent, which at that time, was a dense
uninviting wilderness. The farm upon which he settled is now
owned by his younger son, Samuel L. Hoxie. Nathan B. Hoxie
had but two children, who grew to years of manhood, - Solomon,
now residing in Whitesboro, Oneida county, and Samuel L.,
who resides upon a farm adjoining the old homestead. The
former married Lucy P. STICKNEY, of Edmeston, and has
three children, - C. DeForest, Jennie L. and Franklin. Mr. Hoxie
has been an active citizen of the town, and was supervisor four
years during the War of the Rebellion. Samuel L. married
Rosetta E. POPE, and their family consists of two children, -
Arthur S. and E. Ellsworth. Agnes, a daughter, died at the age
of three years. Mr. Hoxie is one of the substantial citizens of
the town, and is ranked among the progressive agriculturists
and stock-breeders of the country. He occupies over 400 acres
of land lying along the Unadilla river, and is largely engaged in
dairying, although he gives much attention to breeding of
improved stock. His horses are of the Hambletonian and
Golddust breeds. He is a leading member of the Unadilla
Stock-Breeders' association, and was instrumental in its
The TAYLORs were pioneers in the vicinity of "Taylor Hill,"
among whom are mentioned Benjamin B., William, Timothy,
Thomas, etc. They were instrumental in organizing the first
Baptist church of Edmeston. B. F. Taylor, the celebrated poet
and writer, is a relative.