Township Sections of Mini-Biographies

The History of Otsego County, New York


D. Hamilton Hurd

Published by Everts & Fariss, Philadelphia



Benjamin, Abel, and Perry CLARK were also early settlers. The
two former located at the Forks, and the latter about two and one-half 
miles southeast, on a farm taken from the Lispenard patent, on premises 
now owned by Nelson Clark, a grandson. His father, Isaac P. Clark, 
was born in the town, and resided here until his death, about three 
years ago. Several children reside in the vicinity. Reynolds, another 
son of Perry C., resides in Leonardsville.
PHILIPS- A worthy pioneer who settled east of Plainfield Centre was 
Parley PHILIPS, who came from Adams, Mass., prior to 1800. In 1813 
he changed his location, settling one mile east of Lloydsville, where he 
passed the remainder of his days. He was active in the affairs of the 
town, and served fifteen years as town clerk. His family consisted of 
twelve children. Parley, a son, born in 1810, lives on the homestead. 
Jeremiah went as missionary to Hindostan in 1835, and after a 
residence of twenty years returned to his native country, and after 
remaining here until 1865 returned to his field of labor, where he and 
his family now resides. Four children are missionaries.
Parley Philps, the father, caught the smallpox during his trip to see 
his son off for India, and both himself and wife died from the loathsome 
disease in 1835. 
Joshua BABCOCK emigrated from Connecticut to the town of 
Bridgewater, Oneida county, in about the year 1796, and in 1802 moved 
to this town and settled near the Forks. His family consisted of nine 
children, four of whom reside in the town: Joshua F., on the old 
homestead; Henry H. is a merchant in the village; and Mrs. Elizabeth 
CRUMB and Mrs. Lucy T. BABCOCK also reside in the village.
Joshua Babcock was one of the enterprising men of the county, and 
served in many official positions. He was member of assembly in 1818 
and '21; supervisor in 1834, and presidential elector in 1836. His
son,, Henry H., has also officiated several times as supervisor of his
A worthy pioneer was Azariah ARMSTRONG, who was born in 
Bennington, Vt., April 1, 1776. He emigrated from his native State in 
1812, and located on the premises now owned and occupied by D. M. 
and C. H. Armstrong. Mr. A. remained there until his death, which 
occurred in 1855. His wife died on the old homestead in 1848. Their 
family consisted of the following children, viz.: Ominda,* Farrand
Hopestill, Morey W., Solomon, Gethro G.,* David M., Dr. Azaraih,* 
and Charles H. The surviving children all reside in the town. Solomon 
has represented his town in the board of supervisors two terms; David 
M. was also supervisor in 1871 and 1872. Solomon has one son, S. 
Eugene, and David M. has three children, Nellie, Inis, and Morey E. 
A son of Farrand S., George W., is deceased, and a daughter, Dette, 
is the wife of George WING. Finett, the wife of Simon HUBBARD, 
is a daughter of Ominda. Hopestill has on son, Azariah, and Morey 
W. has one named Floyd E.
* Deceased
A prominent and active pioneer was Giles KILBOURNE, who settled 
on lands now owned by a son, Francis S. Kilbourne. Mr. K. did much 
to advance the interests of the town, and was ranked among its leading 
citizens. Francis S. also manifests an interest in the public welfare,
and has represented his town in the board of supervisors two terms, 1874
and 1875.
SPOONER- The locality known as Spooner's Corners derived it name 
from a worthy pioneer named Ruggles SPOONER, familiarly known 
as 'Squire Spooner. A daughter, Mrs. Sophronia CRUMB, resides 
near Leonardsville.
Luther SMITH, from Connecticut, was also an early settler in this 
vicinity. Here he remained until his death, which occurred a few years 
since. He was about ninety years of age. His son, Benjamin Smith, 
who was born in Connecticut in 1815, occupies the old homestead, 
together with his son, who was born in this county in 1829.
At Plainfield Centre, Joseph SIMS was an early settler and a pioneer 
inn-keeper, in the building now occupied as a dwelling by Evan EVANS. 
He has two sons, Ephraim F., residing in Exeter, and Jephtha, at Fort 
Plain, N.Y. The latter is known as the author of "Sims' Border Wars," 
an interesting and meritorious work. Joseph Sims, a son of Ephraim, 
is a traveler, author, and lecturer. He has made extensive tours in 
the East and South America, and at this writing is traveling in 
Captain Vose PALMER was a prominent and influential actor in 
early scenes at Plainfield Centre. At his house was held the first 
town-meeting. He was chosen supervisor in 1800, and officiated in 
that capacity until 1810. His family consisted of two sons and two 
daughters. One daughter married Spencer KELLOGG, who for many 
years was the business man at Plainfield Centre. He removed to 
Utica, and was subsequently mayor of the city. The other daughter 
married Jonathan McFARLAND, and his son, Levi P., who was 
supervisor in 1867 and 1868, now occupies the old homestead.
South of the Centre, an early settler was Stephen BEVIN, who came 
from Connecticut. Four sons, Samuel, Isaac, Julius, and William, 
reside in the town; the two former occupy the old homestead.
In the vicinity of the Sprague school-house in district No. 6, David
DEWEY was a worthy pioneer. He had two sons, Jabez and Daniel, and a 
number of daughters. Jabez married and settled in this town, and his 
family consisted of three sons and two daughters. The sons were 
Samuel and Alexander. The former is a physician, and resides in 
Wisconsin. The latter married, and also settled in this town; had 
four children,- two sons and two daughters. Dennis A., a son, 
enlisted in the War of the Rebellion, and lost a foot in the service. 
Both Dennis A. and his father now reside at Winfield. Alexander 
was a prominent man in the town, and officiated as supervisor as 
early as 1853. 
In the southwest part of the town, Joshua SISSON and Stephen SAUNDERS, 
who came from Rhode Island, were early settlers. A son of Stephen 
S., named Clark, and a daughter, the wife of E. BASS, reside in 
the vicinity.
The premises now occupied by Morris BASSETT were early 
settled by his grandsire, William Bassett. Mr. B. and his wife lived 
to the advanced age of ninety years, having lived together as husband 
and wife more than seventy years. 
Another early settler in this vicinity was Asa LAMPHERE, from 
Rhode Island, who married a sister of Stephen SAUNDERS.
HACKLEY- In the northwest part of the town, where are located 
the best farming lands, is a thoroughfare known as "Hackley 
Street," which derived its name from Dr. HACKLEY, a prominent 
pioneer, who located on the lands now owned and occupied by a 
son, Salinus H. Hackley.
Prentice BROWN, of honored memory, was a pioneer on 
Hackley Street, on the farm now owned by Wm. L. Brown. The 
latter has two sons, Alonzo W and William H.
Nathaniel CRUMB was an early settler at the Forks, on the premises
now owned by a grandson, A. B. Crumb.
Squire Elijah GATES early located at the Forks, and still resides there 
at an advanced age. He has four sons and one daughter residing in 
the town. He has officiated as justice of the peace during many 
years, and has discharged the duties of that office with great 
responsibility. He is also a deacon in the Free Will Baptist church. 
Four sons and one daughter are living, viz., Nathaniel, H. Henry, 
James M., Isaac, and Mrs. TARBULL,-all of whom, except Nathaniel 
H., are residents of the town.
[Note: one place it's Nathaniel & H. Henry and later it's 
Nathaniel H.]
Cyrus BROWN was also an early settler. He was a pioneer justice of 
the peace, and member of assembly in 1849. A son, Samuel A., 
resides in the town. 
In the southeast part of the town, Squire William WALKER was a 
pioneer, on lands now owned by John WATKINS. He reared a 
large family of children, two of whom, Charles and Almond, were 
merchants. Charles began business at Burlington Flats, and 
subsequently went to Chicago, and is now a merchant in that city. 
Almond, deceased, was also a merchant in Chicago. He married a 
daughter of Captain Vose PALMER. Charles was a prominent 
citizen. He was member of assembly from this county in 1840.
Henry LAKE was an early settler in this vicinity. He reared a 
numerous family. Phipps was a Free-Will Baptist minister; Valoris 
removed to Chatauqua county, and has represented that county in 
the legislature; Jarvis was an attorney, first practicing in Little
Falls, and afterwards in New York.