Simon W. Lisk, of Linesville [Crawford County, PA], was born August 1, 1794, at Otsego, Otsego county, N. Y. Here he received a common school education, and learnt the trade of wagon maker. Given a natural fondness for and aptitude in botany, as boy he studied the flora of his native country, and devoted his spare time to investigation in this science, making the medicinal properties of plants a specialty. Removing to Roscoe, near Auburn N. Y., he there opened a wagon shop and carried it on for eight years. Meanwhile he became pupil of an eccentric Indian herb doctor, who had acquired consider able fame in that region for his wonderful skill in treating disease by means of the natural remedies furnished by the woods and fields. From Otsego he removed to Weatherfield. Genesee County. N. Y., and there remained some time. farming and treating disease at every opportunity. In March, 1835, he came to Crawford county and bought one hundred and thirty acres of wild land about two miles from the present site of Linesville. On this place he he [sic.] stayed two years. He then bought five, and afterward fifty acres, which he now owns, just west of Linesville. Since then he has lived there, farming and making practical use of his rare familiarity with medicinal botany, and on that account has borne for years the title of Doctor. He was married in 1817 to Miss Alvina Strong, of New York State.