Program of the Unveiling and Dedication of the Cooperstown World War Memorial
Armstice Day, November 11, 1931
Thirteen years have passed since that memorable Armistice Day of November 11, 1918. Since that time there have been several attempts to secure a World War Memorial all of which have proven unsuccessful. Finally the ladies of the American Legion Auxiliary, Unit No. 579, pledged themselves to the task of properly commemorating to posterity the deeds of those who served and the names of those who made the supreme sacrifice in the World War and to that end asked the Cooperstown Exchange Club and the Cooperstown Rotary Club to name a joint Committee to select a site and a suitable form of Memorial.
Under the able leadership of Hon. Walter Watson Stokes, who became the Chairman of this joint committee, the site was secured, the form of Memorial agreed upon by the committee, adopted by the American Legion Auxiliary, Unit No. 579, and the campaign for the necessary funds instituted, all of which culminated in the splendid Memorial we are now here to dedicate.
The Committee here wishes to extend its appreciation to those whose services made this Memorial an actuality.
The designer and sculptor of the bronze figure is John Horrigan, Sr., of Boston, Mass. The Studio in which the statue and markers were modeled and cast is T. F. McGann & Sons Co., Boston, Mass. The beautiful granite boulder upon which the bronze figure stands is the gift of Mr. William Lighthall of Starkville, New York. The moving and transporting of the huge boulder from its location near Starkville, Herkimer County, N.Y. , to Cooperstown presented a very difficult engineering problem which was successfully completed by Hans H. Frey, as principal contractor and the sub-contractors Bart J. Ruddy, Inc., and Utica Trucking and Cartage Co., All of Utica, N.Y. The markers were placed by Everett A. Potter and Peter Jones of Cooperstown. Miss Elizabeth Patterson of Cooperstown, suggested the inscription on the tablet on the front of the Memorial. Alfred R. Cobbett and Ernest F. Tyler of Cooperstown, supervised the architectural details regarding the general design and the placing of the Memorial.
And last but not least the Committee is deeply grateful to those loyal and patriotic citizens of Cooperstown and vicinity whose suggestions, advice, and generous contributions have made the Memorial possible.
Walter Watson Stokes, Chairman
Berton G. Johnson, Vice Chairman
Alfred Rcobbett, Treasurer
Mrs. Fletcher A Blanchard, Secretary
Mrs. Floyd J. Atwell
Miss ElizabethG. Patterson
Fletcher A. Blanchard
Mrs. Alfred J. Peevers
Harold D. Carpenter
Adrian A. Pierson
Mrs. Alfred R. Cobbett
Dr. Leroy Pitcher
Miss Elizabeth Coleman
Newton E.D. Gilmore
Mrs. Frank Simmons
Berton G. Johnson
William C. Smalley
Mrs. Berton G. Johnson
Mrs. James Stiles
Joseph P. Leary
Clermonte G. Tennant
Moses E. Lippitt
Orange L. Van Horne
Mrs. A. John Wedderspoon
Invocation The Rev. Gordon L. Kidd
Huggick-Purcell-Shepherd Post, American Legion, Richfield Springs
Presentation of Monument Rowan D. Spraker, President of the Village
Acceptance of Monument Alfred R. Cobbett
Clark F. Simmons Post No. 579, American Legion, Cooperstown
Unveiling under direction of A. Leo Stevens, formerly chief instructor in Aeronautics, U.S. Army.
Dedication The Hon. Clermonte G. Tennant, Cooperstown
Singing National Anthem
Salute to the Dead
Program by courtesy of the Freeman’s Journal Co.
Contributed by: Sara Campbell