Misc. Death Notices
Newspaper Clippings

Thursday, October 1, 1961

The Richfield Springs Mercury

Rev. Walter Miller

Funeral services for the Rev. Walter A. Miller, 58, Otsego County 
Pomona Grange Chaplain, were held Wednesday at the Tillapaugh
Funeral Home, Cooperstown. The Rev. Mr. Miller died Sunday,
October 8, at the Verterans’ Hospital, Albany. He came to Otsego County in 1950 and served as pastor of the
Baptist Churches at Westville, Middlefield, Roseboom,
Gilbertsville, and Hartwick. He is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Raymond Bowers, Northville
and Mrs. Everett Lane, Rutherford, N.J.; two brothers,
Charles Miller, Spartanburg, S.C. and James Miller, Rome; and
several nieces and nephews. Contributed by Michele Culletto Friday, December 6, 1940 The Otsego Farmer Daniel Garlock Daniel Garlock, aged about sixty-five years, a native of Otsego
county, died Sunday, November 24th, in Mt. Kisco. He had
been in poor health for some time, but seriously ill only a
short time following an operation. Funeral services were
held Tuesday at Mt. Kisco. Mr. Garlock, who was a son of the late William and Emma
(Westcott) Garlock, is survived by two daughters in Mt. Kisco
and two brothers and two sisters, Howard Garlock of
Portlandville, Mrs. Seeber Bates, Mrs. George Robinson, and
Nellis Garlock, all of Westvillle. Contributed by Michele Culletto December 1908 The Otsego Farmer Anna Marie Jewell Pearse The funeral of Mrs. Eber Pearse was held from her late home on
Tuesday afternoon of this week. The Rev. Mr. L?????
officiated. Interment in Westville Cemetery Contributed by Michele Culletto April 1909 The Otsego Farmer John A. Winsor John A. Winsor, who resided near the old Fork factory just north
of Toddsville, in the Town of Otsego, a much respected
farmer, died at Thanksgiving hospital in Cooperstown, on
Friday of last week. Mr. Winsor had been suffering from
stomach trouble and had gone to the latter place with the
intent of having an operation, but was thought to be too weak
to survive the strain and the matter was delayed for a
revival of strength, death came soon afterward. He was the
third son of the late Hosea Winsor of the Town of Hartwick
and is survived by his wife and little daughter besides which
he has one brother, Horace Winsor, of the Town of Unadilla
and two sisters, Fannie S. and Martha J. Winsor, who reside
on the Winsor homestead in the Town of Hartwick. Edward, the
oldest son died several years ago in Shreveport, IA. Mr.
Winsor’s funeral was held at his late home on Monday of this
week. The Services were conducted by the Rev. M. Kellington
of Cooperstown. Interment at Flycreek. Contributed by Michele Culletto April 1909 The Otsego Farmer William Lum William Lum, a former resident of East Worcester, died at his
home near South Valley, Friday of last week of heart and
Kidney trouble aged seventy-eight years. Funeral services
were held Sunday and the interment was made in East Worcester
cemetery. A devoted husband, a kind father and an exemplary
Christian has gone to his reward Contributed by Michele Culletto April 1909 The Otsego Farmer Mrs. Helen Winsor Preston Died, at her home in Milford Centre on Wednesday afternoon of
last week, after a brief illness, Helen Winsor Preston, wife
of Charles D. Preston, aged thirty-three years. Her death
has cast a gloom on the entire community. Mrs. Preston was
the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel G. Winsor of
Porttlandville. Besides her husband, she leaves three small
children, the youngest about three years old, just when they
need so much a mother’s care. She also leaves six sisters
and three brothers to mourn her loss. Mrs. Preston was a
member of the Methodist Episcopal church, Portlandsville,
although, since her marriage to Mr. Preston, eight years ago,
she, with her husband, has been an attendant at the church
here and was at one time, president of the Ladies’ Aid
society, and of which she was a member at the time of her
death. The husband and other relatives of the deceased have
the heartfelt sympathy of the whole community. The funeral was held on Saturday. The remains were taken to the
church at 12:45 p.m., for the friends to view. The services
were held at 1 o’clock; interment in the cemetery at Milford
Centre. Contributed by Michele Culletto Friday, February 9, 1951 The Otsego Farmer Charles Saxton Lina Evans Older residents have also been saddened by the recent deaths in
Oneonta of two older former residents Charles Saxton, aged
86, who was born in Westville, son o fMr. And Mrs. James
Saxton, who were very prominent in the local Methodist
church; and Mrs. Lina Evans, aged 77, who was born in
Westville, daughter of DeWitt and Mary (Gano) Briggs, a
granddaughter of Philip and Evelina (Wilsey) Gano, who were
among the first settlers of Westville. Contributed by Michele Culletto Friday, January 15, 1937 Mortimer Camp The Otsego Farmer Mortimer camp passed away at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Freeman
Pratt, where he has made his home since the death of his wife Contributed by Michele Culletto February 24, 1899 The Otsego Farmer Judson W. Cornish Judson W. Cornish of Westville died at his home near that village
on Monday afternoon, Feb 20, after about two months’
sickness. The last week of his life in particular he endured
great suffering. Mr. Cornish had been a life long resident
of this community and was highly respected and esteemed
citizen. He possessed a most cheerful disposition and his
uniformity of temper could not be equaled by many. He wa a
most devoted husband and father. Strictly temperate, he had
often remarked that he “did not know what liquor tasted
like”, which helped to account for his prosperity. Mr.
Cornish was 69 years of age. He leaves a wife who has the
sympathy of the community, besides two sons, George of Maine,
and Fred of Cooperstown, and two daughters Mrs. Floyd Perry
of Elk Creek and Mrs. George Chamberlin of this place; all of
whom deeply feel their loss. The funeral was held from the
house on Wednesday afternoon at one o’clock, the Rev. Joseph
A. Glenn officiating. Interment in Westville cemetery. Contributed by Michele Culletto December 27, 1912 The Otsego Famer Hannah A. Cornish Word was received here Monday that Mrs. Hannah A. Cornish died
Sunday night at the home of her daughter, Mrs. George
Chamberlain, of pneumonia. Contributed by Michele Culletto May 6, 1904 The Otsego Farmer Charles H. Green Highway Commissioner Charles H. Green died on Tuesday morning,
after an illness of over two months. An autopsy in the
interest of medical science was conducted the same afternoon
by Drs. Whiteford, ofSchenevus; Latcher, of Oneonta; and
McCabe, of Worcester. The cause of death was declared to be
hemorrhage of the walls of the stomach. An obituary notice
appears in another column Contributed by Michele Culletto H. H. Buckley Dies at Home In Pasadena Henry Horatio Buckley, 84, owner of Catherdral farms and
nationally known breeder of Guernsey cattle, died at 6 Sunday
evening at his residence, 1199 Wentworth ave., Pasadena,
Cal., presumably of a cerebral hemorahage. When returning
from the home of his next door neighbor he said he did not
feel well, and died soon after entering his own home. The funeral will be held from the home Wednesday at 2, with
temporary interment in the family vault at Pasadena. Mr. Buckley was born at Unadilla Center Oct, 20, 1857, the eights
son and the 10th child of Oliver E. and Julia (Douglas)
Buckley. His mother was a daughter of Judge Franklin Amos
Douglas of Franklin, Delaware county. His marriage to Miss
Jennie Hurlbutt was solmenized in California June 12, 1912.
The Hurlbutt family moved to California from this vicinity. Mr. Buckley's early years were spent on the farm at Unadilla
Center, where he worked eight months of hte year and attended
school the other four months. He graduated from Unadilla
academy and attended Cornell university. Guernsey Breeder His business career began with the selling of custom shirts for
Buckley Bros., owned by his older brothers and operated in
Oneonta. Later he becae sole owner of the business, which he
incorporated and expanded into a large piece goods concern. He purchased the present Cathedral farms in 1914, and built the
residence ad other buildings there. Later he decided to
retire from his mercantile business, and he turned this over
to Leonard W. Renfrew, George Northrup and Leslie C. Dole,
who had been associated with him many years. Thereafter he made the breeding of thoroughbred Guernsey cattle
one of his chief interests. Through a period of over 20
years he developed what he chose to call "the new strain of
bigger and better Guernseys," and his Cathedral farms herd
included many record milk and butterfat producers. In 1937
his world champion Cathedral Rosalie set a record of 23,
714.5 pounds of milk and 1,213.1 poinds of butterfat, which
never has been equalled by a Guernsey. Mr. Buckley was one of the originators and incorporators of the
Oneonta Country club, and helped introduce tennis to this
city. He also was a member of the Oneonta club, and of
several country clubs at pasadena. Active in Masonic Order Prominent in the Masonic order, he joined Freedom lodge, F&AM at
Unadilla, Oneonta chapter RAM, Malta commandery and the
consistory at Binghamton, and Cypress Temple shrine at
Albany. He was a 32nd degree Scottish Rite Mason, and a life
member of the lodge, chapter, commandery, consistory, and
shrine. He became affiliated early in life with the Presbyterian Church
(part of paragraph missing)
Presbyterian church of Pasadena, and continued his active
interest in church work there. Many of his winters were spent in Pasadena, where he was for a
number of years director, and later president of the West
Coast Bond and Mortgage Co. He retired from this business in
1937. A project of great interest to Mr. Buckley was Memory Forest,
which was started on his 75th birthday when, at the
suggestion of Mrs. Buckley, each of many of his relatives and
friends presented him with a tree. This forest later was
incorporated under the name of Buckley foundation and
enlarged to three acres. ti contains specimens of
practically all trees native to New York. Surviving are: Mrs. Buckley; and a number of nephews and nieces,
including Oliver E. Buckley of New York, president of the
Bell laboratores, and Harry S. Buckley of New York, vice
president of United Artists Corp. "The Otsego Farmer", Coopertown, NY, July 18, 1890 Jay Philo Holcomb A little grandson of Philo Baldwin named Jay Holcomb, aged 4
years, died at his grandfather's and was buried last sabbath
in Westville Cemetery. Contributed by Judy Morgan Cooperstown Freeman's Journal March 9 1840 Persis Brown d. Feb 16, 1840 in the Town of Maryland, consort of Amos H. Brown,
in her 33rd year. John Beeler Cooperstown – The funeral of John Beeler, 88, formerly of Otego, who died in Oneonta Mar 18
1939, was held Monday from the Bailey funeral parlor, Otego. The Rev. Alfred J. Miller,
Oneonta, officiated and officers of Otego Lodge of Masons conducted a service. Burial was
made in Evergreen Cemetery, Otego. Mr. Beeler was born in Ogdensburg and in 1878 he married Lucinda Harrington, Gilbertsville
and soon afterward left for Australia where he remained ?0 years. During this time he
retained his citizenship in the United States by biennial viits to the American embasy. He
? engaged in extensive building and construction operations. Having no communication from her husband during his long absence, other than that he had
been lost at sea, when the boat upon which he sailed was wrecked, Mrs. Beeler married a Mr.
Blake of Otego, who later died. Upon the return of Mr. Beeler in 1938, he and his former
wife remarried. She died in 19??. There are no known relatives. He was a member of Neptune Lodge F??? in Melbourne, serving as senior warden in 1892, and
also held membership in Collingwood Chapter, Royal Arch Masons in Melbourne Published Utica Daily Press March 21 1939 Unable to read some words Contributed by Rene’ Treffeisen Mrs. S. G. Bundy
A card recently received by Mrs. Bundy of Otego who fell on Christmas day striking the back
of her head on a stair, is gaining very slowly and is now able to sit up to have her bed
made, but is still a great sufferer. The hurt was very severe and at one time her life was
despaired of. Mrs. Bundy has many friends here who hope for a speedy recovery Published Richfield Springs Mercury January 20 1916 Friends of Mrs. S. G. Bundy will be pained to learn of her death, which occurred Saturday
in Otego, where she resided. It will be recalled that she was severely injured on
Christmas day by falling backward, hitting her head on a stair. For a time her life was
despaired of, but later she seemed to be gaining, but has been a great sufferer and her
death was due to the injury. Rev. Bundy was a former pastor of the Baptist church here,
and during their residence here he and Mrs. Bundy won many friends. Much sympathy is felt
for Mr. Bundy Published March 9 1916 Richfield Springs Mercury Contributed by Rene' Treffeisen Rev. and Mrs. Bundy attended at Otego the funeral of her brother, who died suddenly July
22nd. By the death of her only brother, Mrs. Bundy has suffered a great loss, and has
the sympathy of all her friends. Published Aug 1 1907 Springfield Mercury Contributed by Rene' Treffeisen Carrie Bundy, wife of the late Harry D. Barton, died on Thursday, January 18th, at her home
in Providence, R. I. after a brief illness of tonsillitis. Mrs. Barton was a daughter
of Mr. and Mrs. J. Harrison Bundy of Oneonta and was born in that city March 18, 1865.
Her earlier years were spent in Laurens, where on November 19, 1884, she was married to
Mr. Barton. Published Richfield Springs Mercury 1917-1918 Contributed by Rene' Treffeisen Francis D. Butler Captain Francis D. Butler, the oldest resident of the town of Unadilla, died last week at
the home of his son, Frank E. Butler, in that village. He was 90 years old and death
resulted from the infirmaties of age. He had been seriously ill but a few days. The
deceased was born in Unadilla Center on May 29 1835, and was the son of John and
Abigail (Reed) Butler. In 1862 he hearkened to the call of his country for men and
enlisted in Union Forces at Gilbertsville, where a company of the 152nd New York
Volunteers was being recruited. Mr. Butler was elected captain of the company and
served in that capacity until discharged with his regiment in 1865. he participated in
many of the most important engagements of the war and was wounded in the battle of Cold
Harbor. Published Richfield Springs Mercury January 25 1923 Contributed by Rene' Treffeisen Charles Daggett Charles Daggett of Unadilla Center committed suicide last Sunday morning by hanging himself
in his barn. He had suffered for some days from melancholia. Published Richfield Springs Mercury October 9 1902 Contributed by Rene' Treffeisen Sophia Niles Ruggles Cooperstown - Mrs. Sophia Niles Ruggles died at her home on Susquehanna Avenue Wednesday
evening. Deceased was born at Butternuts June 20 1820, married Wm. H. Ruggles April
25, 1841 and has been a resident of this village since her marriage. Published Richfield Springs Mercury November 27 1902 Contributed by Rene' Treffeisen Joseph Lull “The following notice of the death of her [Martha Knapp Lull] venerable companion,
extracted from the Utica Baptist Register, will be found interesting and
instructive.” Died, at Butternuts, Otsego County, N. Y., on the 20th of March, 1840. Dea. Joseph Lull,
in the 85th year of his age. The deceased came in the then wilderness country with his father and family previous to
the Revolutionary War, in 1773, at the age of seventeen, when there were but two or
three families. Three years after he married Martha, daughter of Ebenezer Knapp. They
were the first couple married here by a justice appointed by the few inhabitants to
manage their affairs in the little colony, and built the first house to entitle a
settler to his land. In 1778, they were obliged in consequence of the war to leave their home. Mrs. Lull
carried two children in her lap on horseback to Duchess county, a distance of one
hundred and sixty miles, where they resided five years and a half, during which
twice the deceased exper-ienced religion as he since relates and promised the Lord if
his life was spared to return to his home, he would own Him before a dying world. After his return, nothing special took place with the family, only they with others
maintained the worship of God on the Sabbath and generally at the house of the
deceased, until June 1st 1793, when the few professors met at his house to propose
articles to form the now first Church of Butternuts, at which time he related his
Christian experience and was fellow- shipped as a candidate for Baptism. On the 28th
of August following, when the Church was constituted, he was baptized by Eld. Joseph
Craw, of Greenfield, Saratoga county. On the 12th Nov., 1798, he was chosen Deacon, which place he filled to the honor of the
cause and satisfaction of his brethren forty two years. About two years of the last
of his life, he has not attended meeting by reason of age, and infirmity, but ever
exhorted his brethren to persevere, as the reward was at the end of the race, where
he soon expected to enjoy it and where we have every reason to believe he is now
enjoying a seat and with the Son, at the right hand of the Father. He was the father of sixteen children, fifteen of them lived to become men and women and
marry. The oldest was sixty-three the day the father deceased. Twelve of them in
answer to fervent prayer and the example of pious parents, have made a profession of
Christian religion. Nine united with their parents in following their example of
their Lord and Master down Jordan’s banks. Seven of them united previous to leaving
their parental roof, three others have united with other orders, and three have not
made a public profession, but from their lives they manifest to have an interest the
Redeemer’s kingdom. It may truly be said of the family, “As for me and my house, we
will serve the Lord.” Four of the children were called home by death, previous to
their father. The deceased has left a pious, godly widow, to mourn the loss of her youthful companion,
whose society she had enjoyed in the sanctuary and family circle for about sixty-four
years, and eleven children and ninety-nine grand children to mourn the loss of a
father’s counsel and prayers. the Church and Zion of God one of its most exemplary
members, and society one of its most benevolent citizens, the weary traveler always
finding a hearty welcome under his hospitable roof. His remains were on the day
following his death, conveyed to the house where he had always met to worship, where
the mourners and a large assembly of friends listened to an appropriate discourse by
Br. O. T. Judd, from Psalms 17th, 1st verse. After which his remains were deposited
in the silent tomb. Published in Auburn NY Daily July 15 1879 Many words are illegible Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Mrs. Laura Sherwood died in Butternuts, Feb 8 1862, aged 62 years and 8 months. Twenty-five years ago next June, Sister Sherwood ceased to be a rebel against God through
faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and has since beenwalking in the way of brothers.
Sister Sherwood’s religion was not a name only; it was a burning reality. She loved
the Lord, she loved her brethre, nor would she be alienated from them by any
influence. She stood firm and true, when others proved untrue, and deserted. She
loved all the means of grace in the M. E. Church, and attended them. The class-
meeting was her delight. She loved the Sunday school and the children loved her.
But we see her no more – we hear her voice no longer. She lives in fairer ?, and
mingles in purer society. She, undoubtedly is praising the Lord who has brought her
through many and great trials, and administered to her an “abundant entrance” into
God’s everlasting rest.
Butternuts, April 8, 1863 M. S. Wells Published Auburn Christian Advocate April 30 1862 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen David Wykes, of Butternuts, Otsego Co., N.Y., died Oct 25th, 1867, aged 54 years. Br. Wykes was born in England. In 1831, he emigrated to this country. About two years
subsequent, he was married to her who has since shared life’s Joys and ? with him,
and who, with four children, live to mourn his departure. In the year 1837, in this
town, he gave his heart to God, and became a member of the M. E. Church. He shared
in her burdens and in her honours, until released by death, having filled the office
of a steward well, for several years last past. Br. Wykes’ sickness was of several
months duration, during which time he was ripening for glory. His last message to
his brethren by his pastor, was “Tell them it is well with me Tell them, I had
rather go than stay.” Two days after this, after bidding his family an affectionate
farewell, he sand to rest in the arms of Jesus. May the bereaved ones follow in is
steps and he followed Christ, and at last meet him in heaven.
Butternuts, Dec. 9, 1867 S. Moore Published Auburn NY Christian Advocate December 25 1867 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Harriet Jackson Mrs. Harriet Jackson died at her residence in Butternuts, N.Y., March 2? 1876 aged 73
years 7 months and 18 days. She leaves 3 sons and their families to mourn while she
has gone to join her husband who preceded her to the heavenly country some years
since. Butternuts, N.Y. May 2, 1876 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Minerva Feek Minerva, wife of Jacob Feek, died in Butternuts, Otsego Co., N.Y., November 15 1871, aged
73 years. Butternuts, January 2, 1872 Published Auburn NY Christian Advocate January 18 1872 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen John Gadsby died at Butternuts, N.Y., after a brief illness, March 28 1874. Brother Gadsby was born in England, June 29, 1794, so that at the time of his death he
was about eighty years of age. He emigrated to the U.S.A., about forty-four years
ago and was for years a resident of that part of the town o fButternuts, now known as
Morris. Rest unreadable Otsego, N.Y. May 23 1874 Wm. M. Hiller Published Auburn NY Christian Advocate May 18 1876 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Horace Myrick Mr. Horace Myrick, 70, dropped dead while loading lumber, at Butternuts, Wednesday, the
5th. Published Utica Weekly Herald June 18 1872 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Henry Thorp Hon. Henry Thorp, of Butternuts died of pneumonia on Sunday, Jan 18, and was buried
Wednesday of lat week. Mr. Thorp lived at the old homestead about a mile above
Gilbertsville, where the Thorps have lived for four generations, ever since the
valley was first settled. In 1871 Mr. Thorp ably represented his district in the
assembly. Mr. Thorp was 70 years old. His wife and two children Mrs. A. S. Gray of
Laurens and James who lives at home survive him. Published Richfield Springs Mercury Thursday January 29 1891 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen William E. Frone William E. Frone, a prominent citizen of the town of Butternuts, died in Gilbertsville
recently, aged 43 years. His death was caused by peritonitis, of which he was ill
only three days. W. E. Frone was a son of John Frone and was born in Butternuts in
December, 1852. he was educated at the Gilbertsville academy and in 1878 was married
to Miss Martha Root, eldest daughter of Major O. P. Root, of that town, and since
then has lived on the farm where he died. He was held in the highest esteem and
trust by all who knew him, and was respected most by those who knew him best; all
were won by his quiet, unassuming nature, his honesty, generosity and general good
will toward all mankind, especially to those with whom he came in contact. Mr. Frone
was supervisor of Butternuts in 1889, 1890 and 1891. Published Richfield Springs Mercury Sept 19, 1895 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Mae Smith Death Claims Second Victim of Herkimer cleaning Plant Blast Mrs. Mae Smith, 45 Dies Day Following Business Associate Burns Prove Fatal to Woman as Result of Shop Blast, Fire Herkimer – Death has taken the second victim of the severe blast that wrecked a dry
cleaning establishment here. She is Mrs. Mae Smith, 45 of Montgomery Street. Mae, co-proprietor of a ? Cleaners Shop
in West Albany Street, with Frank Powers, 38 of the same ? address whose death
occurred Saturday afternoon. Mrs. Smith died yesterday in Herkimer Memorial Hospital of third degree burns. The tragedy occurred shortly after the shop was opened for the day Saturday. A terrific
blast that rocked the two story frame structure and shattered a plate glass window
was followed by fast spreading flames that ? enveloped the interior. A second
explosion followed shortly after the arrival of the firemen. A heating unit used to
heat a steam press may have been the cause. Both the man and woman were removed from the building with most of their clothing burned
from their bodies. Little hope was held for their recovery from the time they were
admitted to the hospital. Firemen removed a family of five from the second floor. The fire was checked in about an
hour, but not before heavy damage was caused to the interior of the cleaning shop. A
large quantity of newly cleaned clothing was destroyed. Dr. James W. Graves coroner,
said there would be no inquest. Later estimate on the damage places the loss at nearly $10,000. Mrs. Smith was born abt Apr. 10 1890, at Butternuts, Otsego County the daughter of Merton
and Florence Parker Gager. She married Ralph Smith, who died six years ago. Prior to opening the shop in West Albany Street, Mrs. Smith had been employed by the
Sander Dry Cleaning Company. She is survived by her parents. The Utica Observer Dispatch March 30 1936 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Electa Lull Released at Last – Mrs. Electa Lull departed this life Jan 24th 1887. The funeral
services were held at the house, Tuesday the 25th inst., conducted by Rev. G. W. S.
Wenrick. The subject of this sketch was born in Otsego co., N. Y., and was married
at what was formerly known as the Butternuts, Jan 30, 1824, to Mr. Nathinel W. Lull,
familiarly known as Captain Lull. They took up their residence in the village of ?
the February following their marriage. They calmly floated down the stream of Pine
Hill June 24, 1885, when the “boatman” called for the husband and left her to tread
the checks of life alone. On the above date she too was called to pass over the
“river” and to that bottom from whence no traveling ever returns. She had been a
faithful and consistent member of the Presbyterian church for some 17 years. As to
her age, in the absence of a written record, we are compelled to rely up on her
memory as to the date of her birth, and conclude her age to be nearly 83 years. She
was afflicted with dropsy, a great sufferer, and for the last six or eight months of
her life required constant care, which fell to the lot of her niece, Mrs. Maria ?,
wife of D. Bearup? Esq., whose generous heart and willing hands administered to her ?
while she was passing through clou mis til the spirit took its flight. Much credit
is due Mrs. Bearup for the sacrifices so cheerfully made, and has by her kind acts
made to herself many friends who will welcome her in the hereafter. Jefferson County Journal February 1 1887 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Nathaniel Lull Theresa – The death of Nathaniel W. Lull occurred at the age of 85 years. He was a
native of Butternuts and for many years a captain in the State Militia July 1 1885 Utica Daily Observer Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Wm. Augustus Morris Melancholy death – On the 11th ?, Mr. Wm Augustus Morris, aged 24 years, son of Gen.
Morris of Butternuts, N.Y. lost his life by being pressed with the water wheel of a
bark mill. He had been cutting away the ice, and the sudden starting of the wheel
caught him in such a manner, that the breath was pressed from his body before he
could be extricated. Geneva Gazette Wednesday February 16, 1820 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Willie S. Jay Willie S., son of Charles and Charlotte Jay, died of scarlatina, in Butternuts, March
3rd, 18?3, aged 6 years. Brother and sister Jay came to this place comparative stranger’s, and soon after Willie,
their only son sickened, and in one short week was laid in the tomb. How mysterious
are the ways of God , yet how just and right they are. The Lord is enabling them to
say “Even so, Father, for so it seemeth good in thy sight” Northern Christian Advocate 1841 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Mary ? Mary ?, a girl of 26, living with Russel Collar, of Butternuts, committed suicide
February 16, by swallowing ? ?. The coroner’s examination showed that she had
resided with Collar about ten years, had supplanted the lawful wife and reigned
supreme over his domestic affairs, but more recent events indicated that she, too,
would have to vacate the place for another preferred, and jealously and desperation
led to her self destruction. Utica Daily Observer Friday February 27 1874 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Edward Burr Edward Burr, of Butternuts, who was cut with an adz in Norwich, in July last, died from
the effects of the wound on the 16th inst., aged about 60 years. Utica Daily Observer October 31 1873 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Capt. Moulton Capt. Moulton, an intemperate man, was found on Saturday morning last near the bridge in
the village of Butternuts, having fallen off the bridge during the night. He was
insensible when taken up and died during the day. Utica Daily Observer October 14 1871 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Betsey Bateman In Clayville, on the morning of the 23d inst., at the house of her son, William Bateman,
Mrs. Betsey Bateman, aged 86 years, 2 months and 12 days. The subject of this notice was born in Derbyshire England, 1784, and was married to
Joseph Bateman in 1803, made a profession of religion with her husband in 1804. They
emigrated to this country in 1881, and located in the village of Butternuts, in
Otsego county N.Y., where her husband died in 1836. In 1843 she moved with her son
to New Berlin, and in 1848 with him moved to Clayville, where she has lived ever
since, a consistent and ernest Christian life, beloved and respected by all who knew
her. The funeral will be attended on Sunday the 25th inst., at 1 o’clock pm at the
house of her son in Clayville. Utica Daily Observer Saturday Sept 24 1870 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Mrs. Sabin A sad affair occurred at the house of Mrs. Richard Morris, of Butternuts, a few days
since. Mrs. Sabin, a widow, the mother of four children, committed suicide by taking
arsenic. She twice made the attempt before she succeeded in killing herself. She
had been in the employ of the Morris family for some months, and was highly esteemed
by them, and no cause can be assigned for the rash act. Utica Daily Observer August 5 1870 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen John Silvey John Silvey, who died in the town of Butternuts, this county, recently, was one of the
oldest men in that town, being in his eight-eighth year. He has ten children and
over fifty grandchildren and great-grandchildren. A remarkable fact about this
family is that in spite of the numerous group, the old man is the first one to die,
his being the only death in the family in all those years. Richfield Springs Mercury November 8 1900 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen David Shaw David Shaw, who recently died, was the oldest person in the town of Butternuts. He was
98 years of age. Utica Weekly Herald December 8 1874 Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen William Wellan The Albany Express, of Thursday, says: The body of the old man who died in a switch
shanty on the Central railroad between Albany and Schenectady, on Saturday last, has
been identified as that of William Wellan, of the town of Butternuts, Otsego County.
He was kicked in the head by a horse about two years ago, since which time he had
been of unsound mind, and wandered away from home in this condition. October 17 1871 Utica Herald Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Alfred Wallen Mr. Alfred Wallen, a well to do farmer of the town of Butternuts, committed suicide by
drowning on last Monday week in Butternut creek. April 18 1865 Utica Herald Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Benjamin S. Platt Utica, NY July 26 – Benjamin S. Platt died at his home in Clinton this evening, aged 82
years, having been born at Butternuts, Otsego County, in 1818. He built many
buildings and ? mills, foundries, and furnaces. For many years he was superintendent
of Franklin Iron Works, now operated by Mark Hanna & Company. He was a Democrat in
politics, and in 1851 defeated James S. Kirk, the wealthy soap manufacturer of
Chicago, for alderman of a ward of that city. He had lived in Oswego, Syracuse,
Buffalo, Roundout and other places. July 27 1900 Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Hawkins Jenks Captain Hawkins Jenks, the father of Judge W. F. Jenks of Norwich, was buried yesterday
from his home in Butternuts. He was ninety years old and have lived as long as the
county as almost any one. Saturday Jul ? 1881 Utica Herald It has been stated that Hawkins was from Burlington, not Butternuts as claimed in the article Submitted by Rene’ Treffeisen Bruce Larrabee Our community was saddened by the sudden death of Bruce Larrabee who died March 10.
Funeral services were held Monday at 2 pm at the Tillapaugh funeral home in
Cooperstown with the Rev. Oscar Lockett, pastor of the Springfield Center Baptist
church officiating. The body will be buried later in Oneonta Plains cemetery. Mr. Larrabee was born March 28, 1882, in Kingsley, Pa., a son of Oscar and Ella E.
(Welmauth) Larrabee. He was a retired machinist for the D & H railroad. He married Gertrude Lewis on April 24, 1918 in Oneonta. He formerly lived in Oneonta and
Elizabeth, N.J. and had made his home in Springfield Center the past eight years. He
is survived by his wife , one daughter, Mrs. Franklin Hall, and a grandson, Robert
Bruce Hall of Wisconsin, and several nieces and nephews. Several friends and neighbors attended the funeral of Mr. Larabee Monday at Tillapaugh
Funeral home in Cooperstown. Richfield Springs Mercury March 17 1955 Contributed by Rene' Treffeisen [Cooperstown] Freeman’s Journal, Apr. 29, 1822, p. 3 DIED – At Otsego, on the 21st inst., Mr. SIMEON WATERMAN, aged 81 years.” Contributed by Alex Bueno-Edwards [Cooperstown] Freeman’s Journal, Jan 14, 1828, p. 3 DIED – In Cherry Valley, on the 5th inst. of a pulmonary complaint, in the 24th year of
her age, CATHARINE, eldest daughter of Geo. Clyde, Esq. In Worcester, on the 4th inst. Capt. SIMEON J. ANDREWS, aged 33 years. From a regard for
his character as a good citizen, he was buried with Masonic honors.” [Cooperstown] Freeman’s Journal, Feb. 18. 1853, p. 3 At Clarksville, on the 7th inst., Mrs. SARAH WATSON, wife of Nathan Watson, in the 41st
year of her age. In Morris, on the 27th ult., WM. C. MATTESON, youngest son of Joshua D. Matteson, in the
22nd year of his age. In this village [Cooperstown], on the 11th inst., HARRIET H., daughter of Wm. Nichols,
aged 19 years. In this village, on the 16th instant, AUGUSTUS C. STARKWEATHER, son of G.A. Starkweather,
Esq., aged 17 years and 4 days. The funeral will take place on Saturday at 2 P.M.;
and the Rev. Mr. BATTIN will preach the funeral sermon on Sunday morning, in the
Episcopal Church. In New York, on the 15th inst., SAMUEL STARKWEATHER, in the 66th year of his age,
formerly of this village. In this town, on the 16th inst., Mrs. MARY, wife of Ebenezer Lisk, in the 88th year of
her age.” Contributed by Alex Bueno-Edwards
Otsego County Home Page