Shackelford County boasts two museums for visitors to enjoy:
The Moran Historical Museum is located on Church Street in Moran. It has been housed in the above shown First Christian Church building since 1988. Prior to then, it was housed in the Rockwell Building located on Ground Street. The Moran Historical Society, which operates the museum, was founded in 1973. The society was formed to preserve the history of the town of Moran and the surrounding area. The historical society raised the money necessary to renovate the old Rockwell Lumber Company building, along with the generous help of the Rockwell Foundation. At that time, the abandoned and dilapidated Rockwell building, built in 1909, was located near Texas Highway 6. The historical society was able to move the building to its present location on Ground Street and began the restoration for the museum. However, as time went by, the building became too small for the museum's growing collection of memorabilia. So, through many years of fundraising, the historical society raised additional money to purchase the abandoned Moran First Christian Church building, which was built in 1923. Through additional fundraising and the generous donations of Moran residents, both past and present, the building was restored. A new roof was added, new windows were installed, a new kitchen was put in in the basement, among many other renovations. In 1988, the new Moran Historical Museum was opened. The museum displays a wide variety of memorabilia dedicated to Moran's past. The basement contains additional memorabilia and a kitchen and reception room for visitors. The museum can be viewed through special arrangements with Audrey Brooks, who serves as president of the Moran Historical Society. For more information, write to The Moran Historical Society and Museum at P.O. Box 143, Moran, Texas 76464-0143. Mrs. Brooks can reached by telephone at 325-945-2942.
The Old Jail Art Center is located on Texas Highway 6 South one block east of the Shackelford County Courthouse in Albany. Built in 1888 as the Shackelford County Jail, the limestone building now serves as a museum of art and history. When the current Shackelford County Jail was built in 1929, the old one was abandoned and began to decay. In 1940, the building was rescued from being demolished by Robert Nail, a local English teacher and creator of the Fort Griffin Fandangle, who bought the building from the county. Mr. Nail used the building as an office and a storage place for his growing archives concerning the history of the county. When Mr. Nail died in 1968, the building was inherited by Mr. Nail's nephew, Reilly Nail. In 1977, Nail, Burgess Harrold, and Bill Bomar, wanting to put the historic building to good use, formed the Old Jail Foundation, Inc., a nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving the past for the present and future. During the next two years, the building was renovated and in 1980, the building was opened as the Old Jail Art Center. Historic artifacts and artwork were displayed. As the art center grew in size and reputation, a new addition was constructed in 1984, doubling its size. In 1989, the Old Jail was awarded full accreditation by the American Association of Museums. In 1996, the art center grew yet again with a new 6,700 square foot addition. Works of art by some of the best-known artists from all over the world are displayed. In addition, the center offers a wide variety of historical artifacts concerning Albany's history and the area's ranching history. Also, the Old Jail is the home of the Robert Nail Archives. The center is open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. until 5 p.m. and Sunday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.. For more information, write to The Old Jail Art Center, Rt. 1. Box 1, Albany, Texas 76430 or call 325-762-2269.
Last Update Saturday, 19-Jan-2013 15:24:23 EST