This Northern Pacific Railroad town site was founded in 1902 in NE ¼ section 30-135-76 Hazelton Township and named by John Ithamer Roop (1865-1958) for his daughter Hazel. The Post Office was established July 6, 1903 with Mrs. Elaine Longpre Perras (1854-1918) [Emmons County 1976 History has her biography on Page 144] as Postmaster. The elevation is 2000. The zip code is 58544 and a peak population of 500 was reached in 1940. The village was incorporated in 1916 and it became a city in 1950. Among its more prominent pioneers were William Lewis Yeater (1848-1952) and Abraham Lincoln Geil (1865-1940), both of whom were active in county affairs. Hazelton bills itself as the “Flax capital of the Nation”.
Contributed by Cynthia Maier.
Hazelton Picture From Penny Postcards
Names/Info Listed in Hazelton Centennial History Book 1903-2003
Hazelton in Pictures of Small Towns of North Dakota