View Picture of Church
ELM RIVER CHURCH DEDICATES
NEW BUILDING, SEPT. 1974
Galesburg, North Dakota
The Elm River Lutheran Congregation was formed in May, 1891, by Pastor Hans Allen, assistant to Pastor B. A. Harstad. Previously, services had been held in private homes and the public school building. Shortly after the organizing of the congregation, a church building was begun.
Twice the church was damaged by fire, but each time it was promptly repaired. In 1914, confirmation classes were first conducted in English and in 1919, one-third of the sermons were in English. In 1943, the congregation voted to hold all services in English.
Until 1952, Elm River belonged to one parish with Norman Lutheran at Clifford and First Lutheran at Hunter. At that time, Elm River and Norman joined, leaving Hunter to join with Gardner in a parish.
On June 8, 1941, the 50th Anniversary of the church was celebrated. A beautiful altar painting was presented to the church by the first Luther League.
In 1966, the old church was dismantled and a new building of block and brick was begun. The new edifice was dedicated on May 14, 1967, by Dr. L. E. Tallakson.
In 1904, a German made bronze bell was purchased at a cost of about $800. After the building of the new church, a new tower was raised in October, 1968, and the old bell was reinstalled with an automatic bell-ringer and clock. It was rededicated on November 10, 1968.
On September 9, 1973, ground was broken for a new parsonage to be built just north of the church. Dedication was held on September 29, 1974.
The present pastor of the congregation is Roger C. Paulson, who has served since February, 1972. The membership of the congregation is 182 confirmed and 231 baptized.
From: YESTERYEARS IN TRAILL,
A History of Traill County, North Dakota, 1976.
Contributed by Gerry Forde Mohn.
Footprints Across the Prairie has more history on the church (Page 80)
Elm River Cemetery