RUTH - (1954 - present)
New Ruth is
located on State Road 44, 2 miles southwest of its junction with
US 50 at a point 7 miles northwest of Ely. Dubbed as the
"traveling town," the site of Ruth has relocated at least three
times, possibly five times. "New" Ruth retains its name from the
original townsite named for Ruth McDonald (Marcotte), the only
daughter of D. C. (Dan) McDonald, locator of the original Ruth
Mine that touched off the Ely area copper boom.
The Old Ruth townsite now lies
beneath the huge tailings of the Ruth Mine's open pit. Most all of
the buildings were moved a short distance to New Ruth or to Ely in
the middle 1950's when mining operations were extended by
Kennecott Copper Mines. In February 1958 most of the
buildings had been moved to New Ruth and Kennecott was offering
165 single unit homes, 2 apartment building, 12 dorms, the staff
house and a few vacant lots for sale at prices ranging from
$2,500 to $4,000.
Citizens of the brand new town of
New Ruth held a special meeting on July 9, 1958 and the "people"
created the New Ruth Town Council. The seven people elected
to represent New Ruth to the County Commissioners were: Chairman
Mike Marich, Secretary Bob Bransford, Marshall Dale, Gail Moulton,
Galen Brouse, Gordon Frisby, and Dale Brown.
The county had
stated that New Ruth had been excluded from this years budget
(1958). The first issue of business for the new Ruth Town Council
Members was vote a resounding "NO" on paying the county a special
levy of $2.40 per house per month for street lighting and $2.00
per month per house for street maintenance.
Ruth residents felt since the county had accepted the town plat in
February 1958, the streets and lights became the property of the
county at that time. The new town council went on to say
that all 173 single-family homes in New Ruth were already on the
tax rolls and paying taxes so the residents should not have to pay
the special levy.
New Ruth Council members in
1997: Chairman Martin J. Sorenson, Linda Ream, Connie
DeLeon, Courtland Hall and Doyle Howes. Beth Smith,
New Ruth Council members in
2000: Chairman Courtland Hall, Martin J. Sorenson,
Linda Ream, Connie DeLeon, and Peter Lott. Mary Sorenson,
Postmasters over the years in Ruth
have been: pre 1923 was ___ Slojsanski; Post 1923: Mrs.
Helen Willis, ___ Reinmund, Art Lewis, Zoe Kenyon, Carl Hutton,
(Acting) Elsie Arnn, Imogene Van Camp, Virginia Rowe, (OIC) Geneal
Spencer, (OIC) Donna Rowe, and since 1980 is Sharon
Since the BHP Copper mine closed
down in the summer of 1999 due to low prices for copper, the
population has declined dramatically. Of the approximately 200
homes, 47 of them are vacant in 2000.
Businesses in New Ruth in 2000
include two bars, The New Ruth Club and the Commercial Club, a
post office, the DeLeon convenience store & car wash, a
locksmith, a RV Parks, two Laundromats, Webpanda.com, a web
publishing business, a garage, pellet stove supplier, mobile home
and apartment rentals. The McKay School of Mines has summer
classes in the old Kimberly hospital / safety building. All
are located within a one block area on or near Main
Owners of New Ruth
Ruth ca 1912 - Library of Congress - Excellent Panoramic
Click on this
view taken from Liberty 2 Pit to see large photo.
New Ruth has the
Commercial Club -
R. V. Park - Laundromat
DeLeon's Convenience Store and
New Ruth Club - Laundromat