The History of Otsego County, New York
D. Hamilton Hurd
Published by Everts & Fariss, Philadelphia
COON, John S. - Edmeston
John S. COON, of Edmeston, son of Daniel and Rhoda Coon,
was born in Plainfield, Otsego Co., N.Y., Jan. 21, 1807. His father
and mother were natives of Rhode Island, of English origin, and
were among the early pioneers to Otsego County, and settled in
Plainfield, at Loydsville, in 1793.
His business was farming, and he owned at one time nearly 500
acres. He reared a family of nine children, namely: Betsey, Ezra,
Fanny, Clarissa, Laura, Polly, Daniel, John S., and Alanson, the
last two of whom are the only remaining members of the family.
In politics he affiliated with the old Whig party, and was always
closely identified with public interest. He was justice of the peace
for several years. For many years he was the sole owner of all the
mills at West Edmeston.
He died aged about sixty-four, and his wife at about the same
age, three or four years previously.
John S. was reared on the farm until he was fifteen years of age,
and then commenced to work at the clothier business, working in
the falls and early winters, and during the summers he worked at
the carpenter and joiner trade, continuing to work at the former
trade till he was about twenty-two. He has continued to work at
his carpenter trade more or less ever since. When he was about
twenty-eight years of age he built him a furnace at West Edmeston,
in which he made all kinds of farming implements, and continued
to follow the same for some twenty years, and then he manufactured
wagons and cutters, and this, in connection with his carpenter trade,
has been his principal business ever since.
He was married to Miss Aurilla BURDICK, a native of Plainfield,
Otsego Co., N.Y., Sept. 24 ,1829. She was a daughter of Chas. L. and
Rebecca Burdick, and was born Oct. 4, 1808. By this alliance three
children were born, namely: Adelbert C., Almeron S., and Myron H.
Adelbert C. was born Feb. 27, 1838, and died Jan. 18, 1859; Almeron
S., born May 27, 1841, and died Feb. 5, 1842; and Myron H., born
March 6, 1849, and died Oct. 4, 1850. In politics he was formerly
a Whig, and when the Republican party was organized he joined it.
He and his wife are members of the Seventh-Day Baptist church
at West Edmeston. Mrs. Coon died Feb. 24, 1877. Mr. Coon has
been living on his present home about twenty-one years.
Mrs. Aurilla Coon was a member of the Ladies' Auxiliary Tract
Society of West Edmeston. She was its first treasurer, and one of
its most influential and efficient members. She is the first of that
noble organization that is removed by death. By her sound judgment,
with a mind endowed with superior graces, combined with dignity
of character, and over all a loving heart imbued with the divine
spirit, consecrated to His service, strong in faith, "rich in works,"
her whole life becomes a monument of grace.
Mr. John S. Coon is one of the most liberal of men, having
contributed largely to the church of which he and his faithful wife
were among the working member.
Excerpt from History of Otsego Co., NY, page 146
Return to Biography Index