The History of Otsego County, New York
D. Hamilton Hurd
Published by Everts & Fariss, Philadelphia
BARNES, Simeon R - Milford
Simeon R. BARNES was born in the town of Maryland, Otsego
County, Aug. 18, 1831, being the son of Phillip and Jane T. BARNES.
His father was born June 22, 1798, at Groton, Conn., and emigrated
with his father to this county in 1823. Simeon was brought up on his
father's farm, and received his early education at the district school,
but at the age of nineteen was sent to the New York Conference
seminary at Charlotteville, Schoharie county, where he graduated in
1852. The winter following he taught school in Delaware county,
but in May, 1853, he commenced the manufacture of sash and
blinds at Maryland on a small scale. In the fall of 1855 he took
F M. FOX in partnership with him; under the firm-name of Barnes
& Fox they continued business at Maryland till April, 1867, when
they removed their works to the village of Colliersville, in the town
of Milford, erecting a large building, and having as many as fifty
men at one time in their employ. They also, in connection with their
manufactory, were engaged in the business of carpentering, building,
and lumbering, and had a very extensive trade.
Mr. Barnes sold his interest in the business to his partner in
December, 1874, and since that time has lived a retired life. He was
married, Oct. 11, 1853, to Margaret J., daughter of Stephen and
Nancy PLATT, who were originally from the State of Connecticut,
but who emigrated to the town of Maryland in an early day, and were
among the first settlers; their daughter was born in that town Dec.
14, 1833. But two children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs.
Barnes, only one of whom is living at the present time. The eldest,
Charles P., was born in the town of Maryland, Dec. 4, 1854, and died
Jan. 15, 1872; the youngest, Frank Leslie, was born in the same town,
Aug. 6, 1858.
Mr. Barnes has been a life-long Republican, and has held a
number of State and local offices, having been supervisor, from the
town of Milford, in 1869; and was appointed by that board, in 1871,
as one of a committee of five to superintend and erect the present
jail and sheriff's residence, and personally gave his attention towards
drafting and completing the building. In 1872 he was appointed by
Governor DIX as one of the town commissioners for this county,
which office he holds at the present time. In the fall of 1876 he
was elected a member of the assembly, in a district strongly
Democratic, receiving a majority of one hundred and ten.
He and his wife are both members of the Universalist church,
and he has given largely of his means for its support, having in the
fall of 1876 built the only church of that denomination in the town,
about two miles from Colliersville, on his own responsibility. The
church bears the name of the First Universalist church of Colliersville
and Maryland, and has a seating capacity of two hundred and fifty.
Mr. Barnes erected his present home in the summer of 1868, a view
of which, accompanied by the portraits of himself and wife, can be
found in another part of this work.
Excerpt from History of Otsego Co., NY, page 199
Return to Biography Index