FIRST BAPTIST church - The first religious organization in the town of
Burlington was formed by the Baptist denomination, at Burlington Green,
in 1793, by Rev. James SOUTHWORTH, the first pastor. The society as at
first organized consisted of thirty members. This church has two homes
of worship, the first erected in 1804 and the present in 1839.
NORTH BURLINGTON BAPTIST church - In giving the history of this church,
the writer labors under difficulties from defective records, but in the
main believes he is correct.
On the 9th day of February, 1797, three brethren and four sisters met
together to organize a gospel church, and agreed to meet on the 21st
day of the same month, at which time they appointed Elder Ashbel
HOSMER and Jonathan NICHOLS to draw up articles of faith, and a
covenant. On the 7th of March following, the said brothers and sisters,
with some others, met at the house of William MILLINGS ,and entered
into a particular examination of the articles of the covenant, on which
they found themselves agreed. On the 16th of the following May, the
brothers and sisters again met at the house of Brother MILLINGS, and
subscribed themselves to the articles of faith and covenant, and formed
themselves into a gospel church, and agreed to be known as the
North Baptist church, in Burlington. On the 14th of June, same year,
a council of brethren from several churches convened at the house of
Brother MILLINGS, and after carefully looking into the matter, did
unanimously give their fellowship as a church of Christ in gospel order,
and also fellowshipped the church in choice of Elder HOSMER as pastor.
The council made the choice of Elder William FIRMAN as moderator,
and Elder John BOSTWICK, clerk; Elder John LASURE preached a
sermon; the moderator gave Elder HOSMER the pastoral charge and the
right hand of fellowship.
In December of 1802, the church agreed to unite with the Third
church, of Burlington, but in July, 1803, withdrew on account of not
agreeing upon a place to build a house of worship.
Pastors: Elder HOSMER until 1806; Father TAYLOR, of Edmeston,
1806-1815; Elder David ROBINSON, March 1815-1818; various ministers until 1822;
Elder Israel HODGE, 1822-1831; Brother VINTON, Jan. 1832; Elder
Robert ADAMS, Nov. 1833-Apr, 1835; Father CUTLER, for nine years;
Rev. L. CASLER, for three years; various ministers since: Elder H.
FITCH; Rev. H. H. FISHER; present pastor, Rev. L. CASLER (for third
The church held their meetings in dwellings, school-houses, and barns
until 1829, when they united with other denominations in building the
UNION church, which they occupied one in each month until 1837,
when they erected their present house of worship. It is worthy of note
that our present church edifice stands upon the same spot once occupied
by Brother MILLINGS' dwelling; so we are occupying the same ground
on which the church was first organized.
The OTSEGO BAPTIST ASSOCIATION was organized in the
eastern part of this town at what was called the "Yellow Meeting-House,"
which has been gone a good number of years.
FREE WILL BAPTIST church at Burlington Flats was organized March
9, 1825, by Rev. Mr. HUNT, ESTERBROOKS, Benjamin ROLAND,
Phipps LAKE, and Messrs. HUDSON, MILLICON, and FITCH. The
church as at first organized consisted of sixteen members. The first
pastor settled over the little flock was the Rev. William HUNT. The
society held its meetings in various places until 1829, when their
church edifice was erected at a cost of about $1000.
The BAPTIST church at West Burlington was organized May 16, 1794,
by a council composed of members from Springfield, Unadilla, and the
First Baptist church of Burlington, and consisted of fifty-nine
The first pastor was Rev. Ashbel HOSMER. The first church edifice
was erected in 1803, and the present one in 1841. At the organization
of the church five brethren were chosen as leaders, and Elder William
FIRMAN administered the ordinances every four weeks. Rev. Mr.
HOSMER, mentioned above, came into the town about this time from
Connecticut, and subsequently became the pastor of the church, and
officiated in that capacity until 1797, when he removed to Burlington
Flats. The first leading brethren were Martin LUTHER, Joseph VAUGHN,
Paul GARDINER, and James ROBERTS. The council which organized
the church consisted of Elder William FIRMAN and William HILL, of
Springfield, Rev. James SOUTHWORTH and William GOFF, of the
First Church, Burlington, Solomon HATCH and Increase THURSTON,
of Unadilla, and Josiah MATTISON, Jonathan PETTIT, Stephen
TAYLOR, David SWEET, Reubun ELLIS, and Abraham BOWDISH,
METHODIST EPISCOPAL church, Burlington Flats - This church was
organized in 1871, by Rev. W. R. COCHRAN, with the following
members: Levi Lee VALLEY, C. Lee VALLEY, A. THOMPSON,
Mrs. PRICE, Miles FENTON, Maria FENTON, W. C. FISK, Frank
FISK, George FENTON, Emma FENTON, Synthy FISK, Philena FENTON.
The first officers of the church were Levi Lee VALLEY, G. W. and
M. A. FENTON. The first minister was Rev. A. S. BARTHOLIMEW.
The church edifice was erected in 1871, at a cost of $3,130. Size 32 by
48 feet. The pastors from the organization of the church to the present
time have been A. G. BARTHOLIMEW, H. H. DRESIER, H. HARMON,
and H. B. COOK, present incumbent.
The present officers are as follows: G W. FENTON, Miles FENTON,
and Levi Lee VALLEY.
CHRIST church, of West Burlington, was organized in 1841, through
the labors of the Rev. John V. HUGHES, for many years a most useful
and indefatigable minister engaged in missionary work in this county.
His successors were E. N. GODDARD and Joel DAVIS. The parish
was once visited by Bishop Onderdonk and once by Bishop Potter,
and the ordinance of confirmation administered. In March, 1865, West
Burlington as made a station for circuit mission.
Sept. 22, 1868, the corner-stone of the MOSS MEMORIAL church
was laid by the Right Rev. Daniel S. Tuttle, bishop of Montana, Idaho,
and Utah, assisted by Rev. J. V. HUGHES, the missionary in charge,
Rev. D. Hillhouse BUELL, of Cooperstown, and Rev. N. S. RULISON,
of Morris; and in 1871 the church was admitted into union with the
A good church edifice and vestry show that the existence of the
organization has not been without substantial work and results. This
church is now under the pastoral supervision of Rev. Hobart COOKE,
rector of Zion church, Morris. Mr. Cooke is assisted by Rev. Ernest
The UNITED PRESBYTERIAN church, of Burlington, was organized
June 8, 1835, at Burlington Green, by Rev. H. S. WILKINS, of
Springfield, under the direction of the Presbytery of Saratoga of the Associate
The first ruling elders were James OLIVER and John HUME. Nov. 2,
1844, William BENNETT and James TREWHIT were added to the
session of that congregation.
The first pastor was Rev. Samuel TOPPING, ordained and installed
Feb. 1, 1840. He was released June 19, 1844.
Among the first members were James OLIVER (elder) and wife and
family; John HUME (elder) and wife and family; Arch'd RUTHERFORD
and wife and family; John RUTHERFORD and wife, William BENNETT
and wife, James TREWHIT and wife, Robert HUME, Thos. HUME,
James HUME, William FRATER, John FRATER, Thos. STILL and wife,
John ELLIOTT and wife, George CHISHOLM and wife, Alex. TROTTER
and wife, Thos. RUTHERFORD and wife, Robt. B. HUME and wife,
Thos. HUME, Andrew BROW and wife, William LARDLER and wife,
Jno. CURREY and wife, Geo. LOUGH and wife. Also families of
TELFERS, HALLS, MILLS, BONNARS, BOLANS, AYERS,
ALEXANDERS, etc., etc.
Forty-two persons united in the organization of the congregation.
The first church building was occupied soon after organization.
Small frame building yet standing, used for a stable.
Present officers: Elders- Adam H. ELLIOTT, John HUME, John T.
HALL, and Geo. ROBINSON.
Trustees- John T. HALL, Mark HALL, and Danvers C. ROCKWELL.
There are two church buildings. A number of families living about
Garrattsville thinking to do more good to themselves and others, some
six or seven years ago erected a neat and comfortable church in
Garrattsville. Services are held at Burlington church in the forenoon,
and at Garrattsville in the afternoon of each Sabbath. It is but one
organization,- Burlington. Garrattsville as yet is only a preaching
station. By a union of the Associate Reformed and Associate churches
in 1858, the united Presbyterian church was formed. This congregation
entering into that union is now called the "United Presbyterian
Congregation of Burlington."
Present membership is one hundred.
The society is in a prosperous condition, and is under the pastoral
care of Rev. Thomas A. SCOTT.
CONGREGATIONAL church - "Be it known that on the 9th day of Feb.,
1797, a church of Christ of the Congregational order was formed by the
advice and assistance of the Rev. Aaron KINNEY, missionary from
Connecticut, in Burlington. And the following persons united in this
solemn relation, viz.: "Daniel MORSE, Jonathan HITCHCOCK,
Jonathan BROWN, Mnetriphanthaem CHURCH, Abigail DART.
"Jonathan BROWN, Moderator."
Feb. 22, 1797, Abner RANSOM and Dorcas his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth
MATHER, and Mrs. Rachel FENTON were received.
March 11, Mr. Daniel NICKESON was received.
Sept. 5, 1797, the church convened at the house of Mr. Abner RANSOM
and began with prayers after which Mr. Amos THURSTON, Hannah, the
wife of Jonathan BROWN, and Sally, the wife of Charles BROWN,
were received into its communion.
Sept. 6 and 10, 1797, the widows CHURCH and COGSHALL, Mrs.
HITCHCOCK, widow WADSWORTH and Ruby, wife of Justus BROWN,
Mr. ANADSELL and Helena, his wife, Mr. Solomon BENJAMIN and
Lucy, his wife, and Mr. William BADCOCK, united with us in church
relations. Jonathan Brown, Moderator.
1798, Mrs. RATHBUN, SOUTHWORTH and STETSON, joined.
Jonathan BROWN was chosen deacon.
Messrs. Elijah TURNER, Dr. Caleb RICHARDSON and Edminster
HAMMOND were chosen Choristers.
No records till May 9, 1801. Rev. Henry CHAPMAN was the first
ordained minister of this church in 1807.
The church held their meetings in the usual place of all
newly-organized societies,--in private houses and school-houses. Subscriptions were
made for a church building in 1801, and the frame was put up in 1802 and
finished in 1803. Size, 52 by 40. Dedicated Feb. 19, 1806.
The constitution, confession of faith, and covenant was revised in
1801 by Rev. Wm. STONE, A.M.
Revived again in 1810 by Rev. Henry CHAPMAN. In 1811, Rev.
Henry Chapman closed his ministry, or left this church for other fields.
March 12, 1805, Resolved, That this society, being sensible of the
generous proposal made by Wm. COOPER, Esq., of giving 50 acres of
land for the support of preaching in this society, do vote general and
Jonathan BROWN, deacon, Ephraim CAMPBELL, and Andrew
SILL, trustees; Artemas SHELDON, clerk.
Aug. 22, 1805, Resolved, that this society discontinue any
connection with Hartwick society as to hiring a minister, and voted to hire Rev.
Wm.STONE to preach three months or thirteen Sabbaths, if he can be
obtained. A committee was chosen to confer with Mr. Stone.
May 12, 1820, voted that the meeting-house shall be opened
one-quarter of the Sabbaths for one year for the use of the people called
Episcopals, Methodists, and Baptists, unless the Congregationalist society shall
have preaching therein, and that Mr. Rev. PADDOCK be the man for one-fourth
part of the time in preference to any other.
September, 1820. This church called Rev. Silas PARSONS.
1821. Voted that the meeting-house be open one-quarter the time
for the use of Episcopalian preaching.
Rev. Silas Parsons was called for three-quarters of the time.
Aug. 26, 1822. On motion of A. SHELDON, seconded by Mark MACK,
Resolved, That the meeting-house belonging to this society may be
occupied by the Rev. Mr. NASH (Episcopal) one-quarter part of the
Sabbaths until the 1st day of January next, and begin on the second
Sunday of September next, and every fourth Sunday thereafter.
Some repairs were made to the church in 1824. From this time up to
1839 the church has no settled minister; but the pulpit was supplied
occasionally by the following: Rev. Mr. REXFORD, Rev. Mr. GOODRICH,
Rev. John P. PEPPER, Rev. Mr. HARWOOD, Rev. Timothy DARLING,
Rev. Mr. STORRS, Rev. Mr. TRUAIR, Rev. Alex. B. CORNING.
In 1840 the society reorganized and repaired their church. The
trustees were five in number, but the next year reduced to three,--
Ebenezer SHELDON, Avery PARK, and Norman CHAPIN,--Amasa
The church was subsequently abandoned, and the property sold to
the United Presbyterian church.