The History of Otsego County, New York
D. Hamilton Hurd
Published by Everts & Fariss, Philadelphia
Decatur church. The first church organized in this town was
a UNION church, with the following members: Timothy PARKER,
Biger WRIGHT, Stiles PARKER, Jesse DAVIS, Martha HOWE,
James PARKER, Martha DAVIS, Sarah MAPLE, --- PARKER,
J. LEWIS, N. LEWIS, Samuel HOWE, P. PARKER, and
The first church edifice was erected in 1807, at a cost
of $500. The pioneer preacher in Decatur was Father
WILLIS. Among other early ministers are mentioned the
names of C. CATLIN, Timothy PARKER, Jesse DAVIS,
Samuel HOWE. Biger WRIGHT was the first class-leader.
The present and only church edifice in the town is located
in the village of Decatur, and was erected in 1839, at a
cost of $2000.
The present officers of the church are as follows: John
DAILEY, class-leader; L. L. DAVIS, Esq., Henry HOLMES,
William H. DAY, Chelsea DAVIS, and James E. SHELLAND,
stewards. The church has a membership of thirty-five,
and is under the pastoral care of Rev. John WOOD.
Return to Church History Index