The History of Otsego County, New York
D. Hamilton Hurd
Published by Everts & Fariss, Philadelphia
The pioneers of New Lisbon early manifested a deep
interest in religious affairs, and in 1804 was organized the
first religious society in the town,-the Baptist at New Lisbon
Centre. It was organized through the efforts of Elder S.
The Methodist Episcopal church at Garrattsville was
organized in 1839, by the Rev. Mr. FRENCH. Among the
first members were Daniel HERRINGTON, C. GROSS,
J. GROSS, A. GROSS, and Lyman BRIGGS.
The first officers of the church were H. HOWE, B. D.
WHITFORD, D. HERRINGTON, C. GROSS, J. R. WING,
S. WING, and J. GROSS. Soon after the organization of
the church a movement was started for the erection of a
house of worship, and in 1841 the present edifice was
erected at a cost of $1050; it was repaired and beautified
in 1871. The first pastor of this church was Rev. Mr.
The church is now in a prosperous condition, having a
membership of forty persons, and is under the pastoral care
of Rev. H. A. BLANCHARD.
The present officers of the church are as follows: E. D.
HOAG, F. O. BINGHAM, William BELL, James PERRY,
R. BENNINGTON, and E. S. HOAG.
The FIRST CONGREGATIONAL church.
The First Congregational church, located at Noblesville,
was organized with eleven members, in April, 1805, by
Rev. N. STONE, of Connecticut, who became its first pastor.
A church edifice was erected at an early day at a cost of
about $1600. It was repaired in 1861.
This has in some respects been a remarkable church, as
seven or more of its members have become ordained ministers,
and two of the female members missionaries to foreign lands.
The UNITED PRESBYTERIAN church.
This church, at Garrattsville, is yet but a preaching
station, the church organization proper being at Burlington.
About six or seven years ago the church edifice was
erected, and services are held here in the afternoon, and at
Burlington in the morning, by the officiating clergyman,
Rev. T. A. SCOTT.
Return to Church History Index