The History of Otsego County, New York
D. Hamilton Hurd
Published by Everts & Fariss, Philadelphia
METHODIST EPISCOPAL Church on Fitch's Hill.
The first Methodist Episcopal church of the town of
Otsego was organized in the year 1813, with the following
members, viz.: Jonah and Esther SPRAGUE, Reuben and
Elsie WHIPPLE, son and daughter; George and Alice
ROBERTS; also George Jr., S. R., Sophia, and Sally
ROBERTS; Joseph PERKINS and Alice, his wife; William
HOLABERT, and Amos BABCOCK and wife. The society
erected a church edifice in 1835, located on Fitch Hill. It is
a plain building; in size, about 24 by 30 feet. The church has
a present membership of about twenty persons, and is in
charge of Rev. James RYDER.
The METHODIST EPISCOPAL church of Fly Creek was
organized in about the year 1812 by Rev. Seth MATTISON,
with the following members, viz.: Benjamin GALLAP,
Celinda GALLAP, David MARVIN, Geo. ROBERTS,
Eleanor WILLIAMS, Sally RUTEMBER, and perhaps
some others. Rev. Seth MATTISON was the first pastor,
and Geo. ROBERTS, John ABBEY, and Clowell GROSS
trustees. Previously to the erection of the church edifice,
services were held in the old Episcopal chapel. The church
building was erected in 1839, is 40 by 60 feet in size, and
cost $1500. The church was dedicated by Dr. Ellis BOWEN.
The church building was repaired and remodeled in 1874, at
a cost of $2500. It is a neat and substantial structure, and
its seating capacity is three hundred. The church is in a
prosperous condition, and its membership numbers one
hundred and sixty persons. The present officers are as
follows, viz.: Rev. James RYDER, pastor; Henry BLISS,
J. H. JOHNSON, James WOODBECK, S. C. BAILEY,
Chas. BABBITT, Daniel CARPENTER, and Bussell
The PRESBYTERIAN church located at Fly Creek was
organized March 20, 1828, with a membership of twenty-one.
The first pastor was Rev. Samuel MANNING. The church
edifice was erected in about the year 1840, at a cost of $1600.
The UNIVERSALIST church located at Fly Creek was
organized in 1805, and is said to have been the first church
of this denomination formed in the State of New York.
The church edifice was erected in 1820 and remodeled
in 1861. The present pastor is Rev. E. E. Peck.
HYDE PARK METHODIST EPISCOPAL church was
organized by Rev. M. L. KERN. The first officers were
Cornelius TEACHOUT, George KIRBY, and Andrew
LOSEE. The first pastor was Rev. J. L. WELLS, and the
first members of the church were C. TEACHOUT and wife,
Cornelia MERCER, E. TEACHOUT and wife, T. TEACHOUT.
Abigail TEACHOUT, William BEACH, Maria BEACH, A.
EVANS and wife, Levi SILVERNAIL and wife, M. ALPAUGH
and wife, and S. BRISTOL and wife.
The church edifice was erected in 1859, at a cost of $1000,
and was dedicated by Revs. J. SHANK, J. L. WELLS, and
S. COMFORT, D.D.
The present officers of the church are as follows: Trustees,
Elkanah TEACHOUT, Andrew LOSEE; Class-leader, John
BERRY; Stewards, H. WINSER, John BERRY, and A. LOSEE.
The following have served the church as pastors from its
organization to the present time: J. L. WELLS, two years; W.
R. COCHRANE, one year; W. C. McDONALD, two years;
George WATSON, two years; Isaac PEASLEE, two years;
W. L. THORPE, three years; H. M. CRYDENWISE, two
years; W. A. WADSWORTH, one year; A. S. CLARKE,
three years; W. M. HLLLER, present pastor, one year.
The present membership is 50.
Return to Church History Index