The History of Otsego County, New York
D. Hamilton Hurd
Published by Everts & Fariss, Philadelphia
The WELSH CONGREGATIONAL church of Plainfield was
organized in 1861. The first pastor was Rev. Hugh R.
WILLIAMS. The services of the society were held in an
old ball-room until 1869, when the present church edifice at
Plainfield Centre was erected and dedicated, the dedicatory
services being conducted by Rev. Mr. WILLIAMS. The
building is 30 by 40 feet in size, and cost about $3000.
The officers of the church were Francis G. GRIFFITHS,
Owen JONES, and Wm. C. RICHARDS, and the present
officers are Francis G. GRIFFITHS and Wm. C. RICHARDS.
The present pastor, Rev. Hugh R. WILLIAMS, has
officiated for the church for over nine years. The services are
conducted in the Welsh language. Membership, 105.
The FREE-WILL BAPTIST church of Plainfield was organized
some time prior to 1800, but the exact date cannot be ascertained.
The first pastor was Elder STRAIGHT. Among the first
members were Deacons Waitstill CRUMB, Sr., and Waitstill
CRUMB, Jr., Thomas FISH, Jacob MOORS, Amasa DODGE,
and Deacons Parley PHILIPS and Waitstill FULLER.
The first church building was erected soon after the
organization of the society, but upon the formation of the
town of Winfield, Herkimer county, in 1816, a part of
Plainfield was annexed upon which stood the church.
In 1832 the present church building was erected in Unadilla
The present trustees are Parley PHILIPS, Palmer GATES,
L. J. WING, Rufus DAGGETT, D. BASSETT, and Collins
The church has a membership of 100.
The BAPTIST church at Unadilla Forks was organized June 5,
1817, by a council of delegates, as follows: From the First
Baptist church of Winfield, Jonathan PALMER, Jr.; from
Edmeston, Elder Stephen 'TAYLOR, Nathan WRIGHT,
Chauncey HOPKINS, Rogert SOUTHERLAND, and Stephen
W. TAYLOR; from the Second church of Winfield, Elder
Ebenezer VINING, Ethol PALMER, Jonathan JONES, and
E. PALMER; from the church in Brookfield, Elders Thos. DYE
and Joshua WELLS, Eleazer BROWN, Luther HINKLEY,
Nathan BROWN (2d), and Daniel MAIN; from the church in
Paris, Daniel BUDLONG, John BUDLONG, James RHODES,
and John DAVIS.
The first pastor was Rev. Joshua WELLS.
The first house of worship was erected in about 1830, at a
cost of about $1500.
The church is now in a prosperous condition, with a
membership of 65.
Return to Church History Index