The History of Otsego County, New York
D. Hamilton Hurd
Published by Everts & Fariss, Philadelphia
METHODIST EPISCOPAL church of Westford.
This religious organization was effected in about the
year 1790, and the first church building was erected in
1823. It was 30 by 60 feet in size, and cost $1300. This
society has had but two church edifices. The present one
is 52 by 36 feet in size, and was erected at a cost of $2500.
The first trustees of this church were as follows: Edward
MILLS, W. FELLOWS, J. PERRY, A. VAN DUSEN, and
John NORTH. The present trustees are John HALL, W. H.
PLATNER, W. H. TYLER, N. BANKER, and H. BELL.
The church has a present membership of 113, and is under
the pastoral care of Rev. Albert F. BROWN, to whom we
are indebted for its history.
This is one of the old religious organizations of the
county, having been formed in 1800 by Rev. T. BUSHNELL.
The first pastor who officiated for the church was Rev.
George COLTON. Among the first members were Charles
MASON, Jonas BABCOCK, John MANNING, and Josiah
HUBBARD. The first church building was erected in 1809,
on the site of the present edifice. This was repaired and
remodeled in 1852. Among the ministers who have officiated
for this church were Messrs. CALDWELL, KEYS, BALDWIN,
GILLETT, CLARK, MOORE, and CAMPBELL. The present
trustees are Garrett ROSEBOOM, Robert S. HALL, and
H. E. DRAPER.
This church was organized by Rev. Elijah SPAFFORD in
1825. At its organization it consisted of sixteen members.
It was not until about ten years after its formation that a
church edifice was erected. This was superseded in 1860
by the present building, which was erected at a cost of $1000.
ST. TIMOTHY'S church.
This church organization as effected in 1838 by Rev.
Timothy MINOR, the first rector. The church building
was erected in 1840. In 1867 it was repaired, and is now
a comfortable and convenient house of worship. The
present wardens are Andrew SNYDER and David KELSO;
vestrymen, Nathan BIDLAKE and Revillo HOLMES. The
church is at present in a more prosperous condition than
it has known for many years past. Rev. Theodore A.
SNYDER is the rector.
The BAPTIST church of Westville was organized in 1830,
with forty-four members. The first settled pastor was the Rev.
Benjamin SAWIN. The first church edifice was erected at
about the same time with the organization of the society.
The present neat and substantial edifice was erected in 1871.
The METHODIST church at Westville was formed in the
year 1851. The organization was made by Rev. David
ELLIOTT, who became the first settled pastor. The first
church building was erected during the same year that the
church was organized, at a cost of $1200. The present
church edifice was built in 1871.
Return to Church History Index