Cemeteries in DC"The Political Graveyard" -- Politicians and famous people buried in DC
Elesavetgrad Cemetery Association3233 15th Place SE, 20002
Female Union Band Society Cemetery(adjacent to the Old Methodist Burying Ground)
This was a burial society for free blacks; many of its members were affiliated with Mount Zion United Methodist Church. After Mount Zion took over the Dumbarton Cemetery, distinctions between the two cemeteries faded in the public mind, and the two properties together became popularly known as the Mount Zion Cemetery. Beginning in the late 1950s, real estate developers made numerous efforts to purchase the two properties. They wanted to disinter and move all the graves and construct luxury townhouses on the site. Lengthy court battles ensued; in 1975, U.S.District Judge Oliver Gasch issued a court order forbidding disinterments and appointed trustees to administer the cemeteries. Because the vault was probably a stop on the Underground Railroad, the property has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Black History Trail.
Georgetown University's Jesuit CemeteryAll graves are Jesuit priests. Many of the graves are in Latin so the names are Latinized. Soon the photos of the tombstones will be uploaded to billiongraves.
Georgetown Visitation Convent CemeteryLocated on the grounds of Georgetown Visitation.
|Oak Hill Cemetery|
Oak Hill is a private cemetery located off R Street NW. It was chartered by the U.S. Congress in 1849. Oak Hill was developed as a Victorian garden where visitors can enjoy the botanical garden-style plantings, meditate and enjoy the wonders of nature. Architect James Renwick designed the chapel.
There are a number of pre-1849 graves in the cemetery, mostly those who were originally buried in either the Methodist or Presbyterian cemeteries in Georgetown and disinterred and reburied at Oak Hill after 1849.
Research and visitation requests are complied within reason and rules set by the Oak Hill's Board of Directors.
Land purchased in 1808 by Montgomery Street Methodist Church (now Dumbarton United Methodist ). Two-thirds was set aside for white burials, the other third for African-American burials. White burials continued in the property until after the Civil War, although decreased after Oak Hill opened in 1849. Several white graves were disinterred and moved between 1849 and 1892; most of those were buried at Oak Hill. In 1879, Mount Zion leased the cemetery from Dumbarton for 99 years. African-American members of Mount Zion were buried in the remaining available sections and in the plots left open by the white disinterments. The last burial was in 1950.
|Rock Creek Cemetery|
Many thanks to Jane Donovan for contributions related to the Methodist Churches and Cemeteries of the DC & Georgetown area.