ANDREW J. LAPHAM
Andrew is living in Emmons County in the 1890 Veterans Federal Census.
Andrew enlisted as a Corporal on 21 November 1863 into Company D, 32nd Infantry Regiment, Wisconsin then was transferred to the new Company D, 16th Infantry Regiment, Wisconsin on 4 June 1865. While in 32nd he was promoted to full Corporal and to Full 2nd Lieutenant (Not Mustered) on 20 April 1865. He was mustered out on 12 July 1865 at Louisville, Kentucky. Military records give no indication of nativity or birth date, place. He started receiving a Civil War pension in North Dakota on 18 July 1890.
Andrew secured three land patents totalling about 80 acress in Section 31, Township 129, Range 78 (Ashgrove area).
TALMADGE P. LEE
T. P. 'Top' Lee, one of the earliest residents of Emmons County and one of its first county officers, was born in New York. When he was 24 years old he came to Dakota Territory and worked as a freighter at Cannonball. Coming across the river to Emmons County, he hauled water at Winona for several years and with his father, William S. Lee, who came from Iowa in 1895, he acuired considerable land. He operated a ranch just north of Linton and another ranch down on the river. He owned the Central Hotel in Braddock from early 1899 to 1911, when he traded it for a farm north of Braddock. Married in 1880, he always referred to is wife as "Lady Anne". They had no children, but raised two foster children: Roy J. Lee and Mrs. J. B. (Mary) Rott.
From: A History of Emmons County - 1976
GEORGE A. LENHART
North Dakota History and People - Outlines of American History
The E. J. Clarke Publishing Company
1917 - Chicago
George A. Lenhart was one of the founders and promoters of the Farmers State Bank at Hazelton, of which he has been cashier since its organization in 1909. North Dakota claims him as a native son, his birth having occurred in Davenport on the 28th of June, 1882. His parents are Michael M. and Anna (Plath) Lenhart, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Jo Daviess county, Illinois. The father was but four years of age when he accompanied his parents to the new world, the family home being established in Fountain City, Wisconsin, where he was reared and educated. He afterward took up the occupation of farming in that state and later came to North Dakota, purchasing land in Red River valley, near Fargo. There he carried on general agricultural pursuits until 1910, when he retired from active business life and now he and his wife make their home in Bismarck. His rest is well deserved, as it is the fitting reward of persistent and earnest labor in former years.
George A. Lenhart acquired his preliminary education in the common schools of Cass county and afterward attended the State Normal School at Valley City. He then took up the profession of teaching, which he followed for two years, at the end of which time he engaged in the lumber business, to which he devoted five years, meeting with substantial success in that undertaking. In 1909 he removed to Hazelton, Emmons county, and organized the Farmers State Bank, of which he has since been cashier. The bank is capitalized for ten thousand dollars and its deposits amount to one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. It has a surplus of eight thousand dollars and the business from the beginning has proven a growing and profitable one. The other officers are: A. P. Lenhart, of Bismarck, president; and A. E. Klabunde, vice president. The last named is proprietor of the largest mercantile establishment in his section of the state and also the owner of large landed holdings, while A. P. Lenhart is sole owner of the business conducted under the name of the Lenhart Drug Company of Bismarck. This bank has grown more rapidly than any other in the county. Its treatment toward its customers has been most liberal and in return they have given to the institution loyal support. The bank has made a specialty of taking care of the farmers' needs at all times of the year, regardless of money and crop conditions, and as a result has a large list of satisfied customers who have been doing business with the bank since its organization. The institution has been an important factor in the upbuilding of the territory that Hazelton serves. In addition to his Hazelton connections Mr. Lenhart is a director of the Security State Bank of Flasher and is its manager.
In April, 1903, Mr. Lenhart was united in marriage to Miss Caroline Haynes and to them have been born two children: Rachel, born July 19, 1907; and Alton, September 12, 1908. Mr. Lenhart exercises his right to franchise in support of the men and measures of the republican party and is one of the active party workers, serving at the present time as chairman of the central committee. He has filled the office of clerk of Hazelton township and is now president of the school board. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons and the Odd Fellows and in religious faith is a Presbyterian. He stands loyally for all those forces which are an element in the progress and upbuilding of the community and does everything in his power to bring about the further improvement of his section of the state.
Henry is living in Emmons County in the 1890 Veterans Federal Census. In the 1900 Census he is living in the Soldiers Home in Lisbon, Ransom County, North Dakota. It indicates he was born about 1829 in Ireland.
Henry enlisted as a Private into Company I, and then on 1 October 1863 was transferred into Company G, 2nd Cavalry Regiment, Colorado. Military records give no indication of nativity or birth date. He started receiving a pension in North Dakota on 6 June 1891.
Burial, Tombstone Picture.
Thomas was born 22 May 1838 in Butler County, Ohio.
He enlisted in Company A, 4th Regiment Illinois Cavalry as a Corporal then transfered to Company E and then transferred to Company M, 12th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry. Promoted to Sergeant. Mustered out on 29 May 1866 in Houston, Texas. Started receiving his pension on 21 August 1891.
Kintyre History on Page 90 has a small biography of family.
Thomas died on 17 June 1917 at Kintyre and is buried in Napoleon Cemetery, Napoleon, Logan County, North Dakota.
Burial, Tombstone Picture.