This city was founded in 1898 in the southeast quarter of section 7-132-76, and has grown north into Section 6 and east into Section 8, with the original section commonly called Old Town. It is a double railroad terminus, with the Northern Pacific Railroad coming here from the north, and the Milwaukee Road Railroad coming here from the south. LINTON was named for attorney George W. Lynn, who rejected using Lynn as the name, and only accepted this name because it was sufficiently camouflaged to make his own name virtually unrecognizable. It was founded as a potential new county seat, and won that honor in the election of November 1898. The post office was established February 21, 1899 with Charles A. Patterson as Postmaster. It incorporated as a village in 1906, and became a city in 1914. The elevation is 1731, the Zip Code is 58552, and a peak population of 1,826 was reached in 1960.
Contributed by Cynthia Maier.
Article On History of Linton
More Linton History from "History of Emmons County 1976" - Pages 84-88
THE PASSING OF AN ERA
As the twentieth century rolled into our lives, Linton was already a small but established town in what was later called “Original or Old Town”. The business section occupied two blocks west of the present Emmons County Courthouse between Schley & Sampson Avenues, and consisted of a hotel, dance hall, blind pig, barber shop etc. By 1902 the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad Co. had plans for running a branch here thru Linton and had the location of the tracks surveyed.
H.F. Hunter was General Passenger Agent for the above railroad and knowing what the coming of the railroad would portend for the town, purchased the strip of land east of the tracks from homesteader, John Bartu, and tracts west of Broadway from C.A. Patterson, platting all these as Hunter's Additions. Buildings were already being constructed along Broadway; Petrie's Store, Patterson's Land Office on the southwest corner of Hickory and Broadway and Crain's Bank, later by 1909 the First Bank of Linton. The railroad became operable in 1903.
We are primarily interested in the History of the Linton Creamery which passed through many hands over the years. The various owners of Lot 1, Block 5, where the creamery was located are given as numbers one to ten below. Dates are not always available, but the sequence of owners is correct.
1. H.F. Hunter sold to Elmer E. Martin.
2. Elmer E. Martin sold to Orlyn E. Burge who had a livery stable there.
3. O.E. Burge sold to Wallace Keyes who also had the livery stable on the Lot.
4. Wallace Keyes sold the livery stable to William Carmichael in Aug 1904 or 05.
5. In 1906 Wm Carmichael installed an 850 candle power gasoline lamp in front of the livery stable. He also had a blind pig on Lot 2, Block 5. He sold in November 1924 to John Sautter, who then ran the livery barn.
6. John Sautter sold to Jacob J. Kremer, and the livery barn was torn down in April 1918 to make way for J. J. Kremer's Broadway Merchantile Co. On his other Block 5 lots Kremer began the John Deere Implement Agency and the Kremer Motor Sales Co. The J.C. Penney Co. moved into his building in April 1929. A fire began in the store at 2:30 the afternoon of February 7, 1938. Damage was estimated at $6,000, but there probably was no damage to the building on Lot 1, Block 5.
7. J.J. Kremer sold Lot 1, Block 5 to Otto Dobler who was his brother-in-law, being married to Katie Kremer. Dobler had a garage and auto repair shop there.
8. In March 1938 the building was remodeled for the Linton Creamery Co. which occupied it from then until the creamery closed on February 14, 1992.
9. During this time the creamery was owned by Elmer E. Schulz and on his death passed to his daughter, Patsy Galstead of Wisconsin but she had no interest in the creamery.
10. The present (March 1992)Lot 1 Block 5 is owned by Paul Leier of the First National Bank of Linton.
Employees of the creamery over the years were William Flegel, Steve Thomas, Arlene Davis. From June 1961 until closing Jerome Grossman and others. When Lester Renschler closed his restaurant on the west side of Broadway, coffee drinkers began having their afternoon break shooting the breeze at the creamery, an enjoyable habit that continued until it closed on Feb. 14, 1992. Coffee was served at 25 cents a cup.
Author unknown. From the files of Ronald Kremer. Contributed by his daughter Cynthia Maier.
Blue Room Memories Didn't Go Up In Smoke
Surnames: Welk, Schwab, Dosch, Schneider, Kraft, Bichler, Fischer, Brothers, Lipp, Holzer, Keller, Feist, Gabriel, Schaeffer, Mattern, Horner, Carlson, Scherr, Schumacher, Backer, Masterson, Baumgartner.
Blue Room Memories: Matt-Ray Theater
Surnames: Lipp, Bauman, Dosch, Bichler, Davis, Fischer, Baumstarck, Welk, Schreiner, Weber, Mastel, Schwab, Weisbeck, Feist, Towery, Goldade, Nieuwsma, Bosch, Stoppler, Schmaltz, Kramer
More Contemporary Pictures from Pictures of Small North Dakota Towns
The Williamsport History Contains More History of Linton
Arial View of Linton
View Larger Map
CEMETERIES IN THE LINTON AREA
New Freudenthal Baptist
See Notes on Raynolds and Carmichael Families