CITIES, TOWNS, SETTLEMENTS
This website, North Dakota Place Names by Douglas Wick, gives a brief indication of the nature of each settlement in Emmons County [it chronicles 67 settlements]. A large percentage are rural post offices; a few had their own buildings, many were housed in country stores, most were located in the home of the postmasters, but a precious few continued to thrive and grow. Many of the below descriptions are from "Place Names" but the information is not limited to the North Dakota Place Names book.
Pictures of Small North Dakota Towns has contemporary pictures of these Emmons County Towns: Braddock and Buchanan.
This was a rural post office established February 13, 1886 with Cymontho J. Walker, Postmaster. The name Walker was rejected by the Post Office. It was then named for Moses K. Armstrong, who came to Dakota in 1859 and was influential in securing its territorial status in 1861. He was active in politics for twenty years, and served as the Congressional delegate 1871-1875. Armstrong is an Old English name meaning as it implies, Strong of Arm. Armstrong was located in Campbell township, two miles north west of Kintyre with a population of 24 in 1890. In 1898 the post office moved four miles WSW to the home of the new Postmaster John Anderson. It closed May 15, 1909.
Ashgrove. This was a farm post office established April 6, 1899 with Patrick Kinsella as Postmaster. It was located in the northwest quarter of section 24-129-79, two miles north of the South Dakota border on the east bank of the Missouri River. The name is said to have been descriptive of the locale. It closed February 14, 1903 with mail to Pollock, South Dakota.
Barker. This was a farm post office established June 21, 1890 with Mary Johnson as Postmaster. It was located in the northwest quarter of section 26-129-76, eleven miles south of Strasburg, and closed June 23, 1892 with mail to Westfield.
Bobtown. This was a rural post office established August 18, 1894 with Robert Buchanan (1850-1930) as Postmaster. It was located in the northwest quarter of section 30-136-77, seven miles southeast of Glencoe, and one mile northwest of the old Buchanan post office which had closed May 23, 1894. Upon hearing of the closing of the Buchanan post office, officials of the Rio post office in Stutsman County had initiated the paperwork required to change their name to Buchanan. When the Emmons County facility decided to reopen, it was discovered that the rights to the Buchanan name had been lost, so this new name was coined from the Postmaster's nickname. The BOBTOWN post office closed September 28, 1896 with mail to Livona.
Braddock. See Braddock History Page
Brennan's Landing. This was an early 20th-century Missouri River boat landing on the east bank of the Missouri River opposite Cannon Ball, and very near the old ferry service at Gayton's Landing. No other information is available.
Brofy. This post office was established January 3, 1906 with Alice L. Brophy as Postmaster. It was located in the northeast quarter of section 5-133-76, McCulley Township in the store run by her husband, L. W. Brophy. Mr. Brophy had applied for the post office as Brophyston, but the authorization for this office was approved October 21, 1905 as BROFY. Mr. Brophy declined this appointment, and his wife assumed the position the following January. The Brophys moved away, and new Postmaster William A. Foell changed the name to LARVIK on January 28, 1908. Meanwhile a rival townsite called TEMPELTON began on the opposite side of the Northern Pacific Railroad tracks, and the two merged in 1911 as TEMVIK.
Buchanan. This was a stopping point on the Bismarck-Williamsport stage route located at the home of Willis W. Goodwin in the southwest quarter of section 29-136-77, eight miles northwest of Hazelton. A post office was established November 17, 1884 with Isena A. Goodwin [Isena and Willis' burial memorial] as Postmaster, and it closed May 23, 1894 with mail to Williamsport. A population of 50 was reported in 1890. It was named for the Buchanan Valley in which it was located, which was named for Robert Buchanan (1850-1930), a native of Ireland who came here in 1872. The post office reopened August 18, 1894 with Mr. Buchanan as Postmaster, but was renamed BOBTOWN because the Buchanan name had been claimed by the Rio post office in Stutsman County.
Camp Shields. This was a wintering camp on the east bank of the Missouri River, used by pioneers as a refuge before homesteading in the spring. It was about eighteen miles west of Williamsport, the county seat, and was named for N. Shields, thought by some to be the same man that became associated with the community of that name in Grant County.
Campbell. This name was used for a planned settlement east of Braddock as early as 1898. Dugald Campbell (1855-1937) and his brother, Hugh Campbell (1850-1928) had come here in 1882 from Campbelltown, Scotland, and operated the 6,000 acre Northwestern Livestock Co. Ranch, with headquarters in the southwest quarter of section 28-136-74, Campbell Township. When a townsite was begun two miles east-southeast of here in 1905, this name and Campbelltown were apparently rejected by postal officials, and the new town became Kintyre.
Casselman. This was a rural post office established February 23, 1886 with William S. Casselman as Postmaster. He came here from Ontario, Canada in 1883 with his wife, Ella Hough Casselman, a pioneer school teacher. It was located in the southeast quarter of section 8-136-75, four miles northwest of Braddock, and closed April 2, 1887 with mail to Steele. The Casselman family moved to Bismarck in 1892.
Colville. This was a rural community in Township 130-79 in southwest Emmons County, south of Winona, which was opposite Fort Yates. It flourished about 1900, and was named for local landowner William Colville, a native of Scotland. Some accounts refer to it as NORTH GLANAVON, years before the Glanavon post office was established.
Corbinsville - or Corbinville. Benjamin Corbin Sr. (1829-1912), a beloved pioneer of northern Emmons County known as "Uncle Ben," purchased the so-called Wilson place in September 1893. This building, which he converted into a store and hotel, was located in Section 31-135-78, about thirteen miles west of Hazelton, or about midway between the old post offices of Livona and Gayton. In 1901 he promoted his business as CORBINSVILLE. The site remained a local landmark until it was torn down in 1966. Corbin is a Latin name meaning raven. More information at History of Emmons County - 1976 on the city and the Corbin family.
A rural Post Office established April 1890 with Sarah V. Braddock PM. She was the wife of Edward Braddock. The name comes from combining Dakota with Emmons. Dakem was first located fourteen miles ESE of Linton. In 1903 it moved three miles NE to the home of the new PM T.E. Thorn. It later moved back to the site near the original location and closed November 1909.
Dale. See Dale History Page
Dana. This was a Northern Pacific Railroad siding built about 1910 in the east half of section 16-136-76 at the intersection of the road from US Highway 83 to Braddock, about eight miles to the east. Northern Pacific Railroad official E. C. Blanchard named it for Charles Anderson Dana (1819-1897), - Burial Memorial a famous journalist. Dana is a Scandinavian name meaning one who comes from Denmark. Little development occurred here, with a population of 10 in 1920 being its only census report, and it disappeared from most maps in the 1960's. The Kertzman post office operated 1919-1922 in the northeast quarter of section 18-136-76, two miles south of DANA. Pictures of where Dana was.
Danbury. This was a farm post office established April 25, 1887 with Mrs. Rachel A. Procunier as Postmaster. It was located in Section 12-134-77, four miles southwest of Hazelton, and named for the Postmaster's husband, Dan Procunier. Some sources say it was named for Danbury, Iowa, which was named for Danbury, Essex, England. A population of 25 was reported in 1890. Abraham Lincoln Geil (1865-1940), his father John F. Geil (1831-1904), and Lot S. Koker served as Postmasters at various sites in Section 12-134-77 before the post office closed July 5, 1894 with mail to Williamsport. It was later renamed to Liberty.
East Linton. Newspapers carried a story in August 1902 about a new rival townsite of Linton, the new county seat of Emmons County. It was located in Section 8-132-76, just east of Linton, more or less representing that part of the town that is today east of US Highway 83. Despite negative publicity by the Emmons County Record, much of Linton moved to this new site, which offered better flood protection during the spring thaws of Beaver Creek, and EAST LINTON soon assumed the original townsite's name, which today is locally called Old Town.
Elzas. This name refers to the rural community in Elzas Township (129-75), southeast of Strasburg, west of Zeeland, and just north of the South Dakota border. The majority of settlers, who first came here in 1886, were from Elsas, South Russia, which was named for the Alsace region of Germany (now France), to which the ancestry of many of the residents could be traced. The variation in the spelling is not explained. Descendants of these pioneers now make up much of the population of Hague.
Emmonsburg. See Emmonsburg History Page
Ethel This was a pioneer post office established February 13, 1886 with George A. Peters as Postmaster. It never went into operation, and no other entries are found in government records. The location and origin of the name are unknown.
Exeter. This was a rural post office established March 2, 1887 with Florentine J. Brown as Postmaster, who named it for Exeter, Ontario, Canada, which was named for Exeter, Devonshire, England, which was named to note its location on the left bank of the River Exe. It was located in Section 30-132-74, twelve miles east-southeast of Linton, and closed October 30, 1897 with mail to Dakem. It reopened January 8, 1898 with Hiram Scott as Postmaster at his home in the north half of section 26-131-74, eight miles southeast of the original site, and closed for good March 30, 1907 with mail to Dakem when postmaster-to-be Joseph Schmaltz declined his appointment.