CITIES, TOWNS, SETTLEMENTS
This website, North Dakota Place Names by Douglas Wick, gives a brief indication of the nature of each settlement in Emmons County [it chronicles 67 settlements]. A large percentage are rural post offices; a few had their own buildings, many were housed in country stores, most were located in the home of the postmasters, but a precious few continued to thrive and grow. Many of the below descriptions are from "Place Names" but the information is not limited to the North Dakota Place Names book.
Pictures of Small North Dakota Towns has contemporary pictures of these Emmons County Towns: Linton, Livona, Midway, Selz, South Prairie, Strasburg, Temvik, Westfield.
TOWNS L-Z You Are Here
Larvik - (Farm Post Office). This was a farm post office established May 27, 1899 with Brynhjolf Stolee as Postmaster in the northwest quarter of section 35-129-76, twelve miles south of Strasburg. It was named for Larvik, Vestfold, Norway, and closed October 31, 1902 with mail to Westfield.Larvik. This name was adopted by new Postmaster William A. Foell on January 28, 1908 as a name change for the BROFY post office, which served the townsite founded in 1904 as GODKIN. The new name honored townsite owner Edward Larvick, with a slight change in the spelling, who platted six blocks in the northeast quarter of section 5-133-76, McCulley Township, and three blocks in the southeast quarter of section 32-134-76, Danbury Township, in February 1908 on the west side of the Northern Pacific Railroad tracks. Some say the change in spelling was influenced by the Norwegian city of Larvik, which had been the namesake of an earlier Larvik post office in Emmons County. In May 1908 Franz and Balthazar Tempel platted TEMPELTON on the east side of the Northern Pacific Railroad tracks, and the two adjoining townsites engaged in a lively rivalry until May 9, 1911, when they merged as TEMVIK.
Nothing remains of the settlement of Danbury/Liberty which was located northwest of Linton near Williamsport and southwest of Hazelton. However a pile of rocks mark the Danbury cemetery.
The community included a Post Office and the Danbury School which was founded in 1886 with Miss Bertha Packer as the first teacher. According to newspaper records, the school had an average daily attendance of “15 scholars”. The teacher listed in 1887 was Anna E. Geil, daugher of John F. and Sarah Geil.
The township was originally called Danbury but is now Prairie View. In addition to Danbury being named after Dan Procunier, and Danbury, Iowa it is also believed it was after Dan Chapman. Chapman who died in 1886 is buried in the now abandoned Danbury Cemetery.
Linton. See Linton History Page
Livona.This was a rural post office established December 31, 1883 with Lavina Livingston as Postmaster. It was named for the Postmaster, with an unexplained change in the spelling, although others say it was named for the Livonia District in Russia. It was located in Section 18-135-78, thirteen miles west-northwest of Hazelton. For over fifty years the post office was run by members of the Wesley Baker (1847-1929) family, either from a farm home in the northeast quarter of section 19-135-78, or from a country store in the southeast quarter of section 12-135-79. A population of 32 was reported in 1890. On June 30, 1955 as Postmaster John Henry Baker, a grandson of Wesley, closed the facility and it was relocated ten miles north into Burleigh County, where it became a rural branch of the Bismarck post office.
Marie. This was a rural post office established April 28, 1905 with Katie B. McGuire as Postmaster. It was located in the northwest quarter of section 17-133-74, twelve miles east-northeast of Linton. The origin of the name is unknown. The Emmons County Record of July 12, 1910 carried the following report: "The Marie post office has been discontinued due to lack of interest in the large headaches and little margin for profit." This was not quite true, as James Green moved the facility to his home in the northwest quarter of section 10-133-74, two miles northeast of the McGuire home, with his wife actually performing the duties. It closed May 15, 1914 with mail to Omio. The Emmons County Record of May 28, 1914 stated: "The Marie P. O. has closed. Mrs. Green quit, and no one wanted it". The building housing the MARIE post office was moved to the Wendelin Wangler farm in 1938, and attached to his house.
Mars Junction - This place appears on current  maps published by Hearne Brothers at the junction of county roads in Sections 1 & 2-129-76, and Sections 35 & 36-130-76, three miles east of Westfield, one mile west of Hull, and eight miles south of Strasburg. An official of the map company hedges that the place is a copyright town [Note: Cartographers practice of placing fictitious towns on their maps as a means of detecting unauthorized copying of their products].
Mastel. This was a farm post office established July 1, 1912 with Thomas H. Mastel as Postmaster. It was located in the northeast quarter of section 18-131-74, nine miles north of Hague, and for a time also served as an overland stage station. The post office closed October 15, 1913 with mail to Hague.
Midway. This place was founded in 1936 by George J. Dockter in the northeast quarter of section 19-132-74, twelve miles east of Linton on the south side of North Dakota Highway 13, and consisted of a grocery store, bar, gas station, blacksmith shop, and a creamery. The name apparently noted the fact that it was midway between Linton and the junction with North Dakota Highway 3. Katherine Miller assisted Mr. Dockter for many years. Improvements in transportation reduced the feasibility of such operations, and Mr. Dockter moved his businesses into Linton in 1957, ending the history of MIDWAY
Miriam. This settlement dates from about 1887, and is said to have been named for Mrs. Albert B. Peterson, nee Maria Jacobson, who adopted this given name after coming here from Sweden in 1883. Miriam is a Hebrew name meaning rebellious. A townsite was platted in Section 34-136-75, just south of present-day Braddock, but the plat was not filed, and the site failed to develop. Merriam is an erroneous spelling.
North Glanavon. This was a rural community in Township 130-79 in Southwest Emmons County, south of Winona, which was opposite Fort Yates, It flourished about 1900, and was often called COLVILLE for prominent settler William Colville. NORTH GLANAVON referred to Glanavon, a rural community just to the south which had its own post office 1903-1907.
Omio. This was a rural post office established February 4, 1886 with Abraham L. Raynolds as Postmaster at his home in the northwest quarter of section 22-132-76, three miles southeast of Linton. Mr. Raynolds also operated the WAYLIN post office at this site for two months in 1886. In 1888 the OMIO post office moved four miles northwest to the home of Postmaster Leah Carmichael in the southwest quarter of section 6-132-76, just north of present-day Linton, and in 1892 it was moved eight miles east-southeast to the northeast quarter of section 20-132-75, the home of Postmaster Libbie Wescott. A Methodist church at this site was a longtime community center. The post office closed December 31, 1914 with mail to Linton. The origin of the name is unknown.
Roop - This was a farm post office established August 21, 1884 with Joseph N. Roop as Postmaster at his farm in the northwest quarter of section 22-135-75, about four miles south of Braddock. Mr. Roop, who was born near Berlin, Germany, and came here in 1883, was killed by a bull on September 24, 1892. A small settlement began, reporting a population of 22 in 1890, but the post office closed March 15, 1900 with mail to Braddock.
Rosental. This was a pioneer community of Germans from Russia in Strasburg Township (131-76), just northwest of present-day Strasburg. The first settlers came from Rosental, Kischinew District, Bessarabia
Saint Michaels. This is a rural community founded in 1914 in the southwest quarter of section 22-133-74, seventeen miles east-northeast of Linton, and named for the rural Roman Catholic church at this site, which was dedicated in September 1915 on the Sunday closest to the feast of Saint Michael the archangel. Leo and Christian Kuntz operated a store just south of the church in the northwest quarter of section 27-133-74 beginning about 1920, and the community is sometimes called KUNTZ. Other stores were later opened by Daniel Kuhn and Joseph A. Gefreh. A parish hall was built in 1948, and the community continues to serve the people of east central Emmons County.
Selz. This was a rural community of Roman Catholic Germans from Russia founded in the summer of 1885, and named for their former home of Selz, South Russia, a Kherson District settlement founded in 1808. The post office was established April 13, 1896 with Anton F. Vetter as Postmaster at his home in the southwest quarter of section 26-130-74, five miles east-northeast of Hague, and closed May 30, 1903 with mail to Hague, whose post office had recently been established by Franz Wolf, a farmer as Postmaster of Selz.
South Prairie. This was a farm post office established April 21, 1892 with Celia J. Flick as Postmaster. It was located in the home of her husband, Capt. Martin Flick, in the northwest quarter of section 6-131-76, Strasburg Township five miles south of Linton. The name is descriptive, with the "south" apparently noting its location in the southern part of the county. The post office closed April 22, 1899 with mail to Tirsbol.
Stafford. The Milwaukee Road Railroad established a townsite in the south half of section 26-131-76, Strasburg Township in 1902 and called it STAFFORD for unknown reasons. At the request of local settlers the name was changed to STRASBURG later in the year.
Strasburg. This Milwaukee Road Railroad Townsite was founded in 5 ½ section 26-131-76. Strasburg Township in 1902 was named Stafford for unknown reasons. The area had been settled I 1888 by Germans from Strasburg in Russia, which had been founded in 1808 by Roman Catholic settlers from Strasburg Allsauce, now a part of France. The local settlers asked that the name be changed to Strasburg and railroad officials approved the request. The Post Office was established April 29, 1903, with Egidi Keller Postmaster, who moved his Tirsbol Post Office to the new townsite. The village incorporated in 1908 and became a city in 1941. The elevation is 1805 and the zip code 58573 and it reached a peak population of 994 in1940. Lawrence Welk, the famous bandleader and television personality was born here in 1903.
Tell. This was a rural community founded by Swedish immigrants in 1888, and named for the Tell Lutheran Church in the southwest quarter of section 27-135-74, Tell Township eight miles southeast of Braddock. Some sources say the name came from Tell, Texas, but that settlement was not founded until 1905. A rural school was built here in 1893 by Olof Pehrson, who became Postmaster of the TELL post office when it was established April 23, 1894 in his home in the southwest quarter of section 28-135-74, one mile east of the church. Charles H. Pearson became the Postmaster in 1903, and the post office closed April 25, 1908 with mail to Braddock.
Tempelton/Tempeltonville. This 13-block townsite was platted in May 1908 by the brothers Franz and Balthazar Tempel on their land in NE ¾ Sec 5-133-76, McCulley Township, on the east side of the NPRR tracks opposite LARVIK. Larvik had previously been known as Godkin and Brofy, and the whole situation of rival townsites proved confusing even then, with the Emmons County Record reporting on August 11, 1910 that “The name of Brofy, a small station, nine miles from Linton on the NP branch, has been changed to Tempeltonville.” This was not quite accurate, but on May 9, 1911 Tempelton and Larvik did merge as Temvik.
Temvik. See Temvik History Page
Tirsbol (Tiraspol). This was a farm Post Office established May 3, 1898 with Egidi Keller Postmaster. It was located in NE ¼ section 23-131-76 – Strasburg Township. One mile north of Strasburg and named for Tirspol, Cheron District South Russia; the Roman Catholic diocese in the old country for many are settlers. No explanation was given for the change in the spelling. The suggested name of Elsas was rejected by Postal Officials. On April 29,1903 Mr. Keller moved his Post Office one mile south of the New Milwaukee Road Railroad townsite of Strasburg adopting the new name.
A Brief History Of The People And Parish of Saints Peter and Paul Church
Waylin - Waylen This was a rural post office established February 18, 1886 with Abraham L. Raynolds as Postmaster, fourteen days after he had been appointed as Postmaster of OMIO. Both post offices were located in his home in the northwest quarter of section 22-132-76, three miles southeast of Linton. The WAYLIN post office closed April 7, 1886 with Mr. Raynolds continuing as the OMIO as Postmaster. The origin of the name is unknown.
Westfield. Alt. 1,885 ft. Many settlements came into being in the ensuing years (subsequent to Territorial Legislature in 1879), two of them being "Thule" and "Hope." The two communities though separated by 17 miles and later by a state line, shared a common bond in that they were both of Dutch descent and of the Reformed faith.
Williamsport. See Williamsport History Page
Winchester. This was a pioneer townsite promoted by Charles Bumstead and Nathaniel Gillett in Section 1-132-77, just northwest of present-day Linton. It was named for Walter H. Winchester, a District Judge at Bismarck, although some claim it was named by local gunsmith Benjamin Losey, father-in-law of Mr. Bumstead, for the Winchester repeating rifle. The post office was established August 21, 1884 with Mr. Gillett as Postmaster, and a population of 47 was reported in 1890. John Parker opened a cheese factory, but development slowed, and the post office closed January 15, 1900 with mail to Linton. It reopened February 17, 1900 about four miles to the west at the home of John Henderson, and the facility, now a farm post office, moved two more times in the same general area before closing for good December 15, 1909 with mail to Hartford.
Winona. See Winona History Page
TOWNS L-Z You Are Here