Book - History of Emmons County - 1976
Can be searched by most PDF viewers and some internet browsers.
Can be downloaded to desktop through internet browser.
National Register Of Historical Places Town Histories
Photographs History Stories - Narrations
County Postmasters Pictures Of Penny Postcards
Newspapers Digital Horizons
Thousands of images, documents, video, and oral histories depicting life on the Northern Plains from the late 1800s. Lots of Emmons County pictures.
North Dakota State Historical Society UND Special Collections
Poorhouses In North Dakota North Dakota Fun Facts
The Record. Historical magazine was published at Fargo, N.D. from 1895 to 1905. Focus on north Dakota historical and biographical articles. Index only. Order through NDSU.

Emmons County was named for James A. Emmons 1843-1919, by territorial legislator Erastus A. Williams. Emmons came to Bismarck, North Dakota in 1872 as the post trader at Camp Hancock. He was a steamboat captain on the Missouri and Mississippi rivers and an early Bismarck merchant and entrepreneur. He was involved in establishing the Bismarck Sun newspaper in 1880. He was born at Guyandotte, Virginia on December 29, 1843.
The county was established February 10, 1879 by the North Dakota legislature. The governor appointed a board to organize the county which consisted of James B. Gayton, William L. Yeater, and Robert S. Whitney. The county was organized November 9, 1883. The board named the county seat as Williamsport and appointed the first County Board of Commissioners; Daniel Williams Auditor, J. N. Roop Treasurer, and J. Tape Assessor. As settlers moved into the Southern part of the county a move was made to relocate the courthouse to a more centralized location and the general election of 1898 the new town site of Linton was chosen with the actual move occurring in 1899.
The county is 1,555 square miles (of which 45 square miles is water) and a peak population of 12,467 was reached in 1930. The 2000 population was 4,331.